Artsy seeks an Associate Editor to join our Editorial team and play a key role in contributing to Artsy’s editorial coverage of the art market, art world, and insights that experienced art collectors can’t find anywhere else.
Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, with more than 1,000,000 works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 of the world’s leading galleries, auction houses, art fairs, and institutions across 190 countries.
Artsy’s Editorial team strives to inform, engage, and delight art collectors as well as readers with a passion for contemporary art and art history. They do this through a variety of article types of formats ranging from artist profiles, to auction and fair reports, to artist lists, longform reporting.
Reporting to the Lead Editor, Art Market and News, the Associate Editor will work closely with Artsy’s staff of writers and editors to ensure that Artsy grows its position as the leading voice and must-read destination for online art collectors. This person has a keen sense of Artsy’s editorial voice, style, and tone as well as an understanding of what resonates with our target audience. In a given month, this person may be writing a report from a major art fair, editing pieces on art collection management or profiles of emerging artists, and editing timely news pieces on the art industry.
- Per week, the Associate Editor will edit three to four 800+ word articles, edit five short news pieces, write one article, and write short news pieces as needed
- Regularly pitch and execute longer features and reports
- Have the opportunity to contribute to the daily news cycle
- Source images to provide support to our production team
- Work within our CMS to ensure that articles are pushed live and tracked appropriately
- Participate in live coverage of art fairs and auctions
- 3+ years of work experience in a journalistic or related capacity within the art world
- You have an innate sense for news and what makes a story interesting, and feel confident taking an informed stance that will help our readers connect the relevance of that story to their passion for art.
- You have a growing network of industry contacts and sources within the art world.
- You have demonstrated skill with hands-on editing and are comfortable writing, pitching, and conceiving longer features and reports at a fast pace.
- You are self-motivated and capable of meeting firm deadlines in a deadline-continuous environment, while maintaining the highest standard of accuracy and quality of writing.
- You are inspired by and thrive in a position that allows you to cover a wide variety of subjects and topics in a field.
- You are extremely organized and detail-oriented.
- You know how to manage the expectations of high-profile sources.
- You are an excellent communicator, a selfless contributor, and work well both independently and as part of a close-knit and egoless team.
- You have a flexible schedule that can accomodate evening, early morning, or weekend work when needed.
This position is full-time and starts immediately. To apply, please submit your resumé, a cover letter, and three writing samples here. Writing samples should demonstrate a wide range of your past work and that you think could have been a good fit for Artsy.
When you apply, you will be directed to a third party site.
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
Art x Science: We believe in uniting empathy with logic, emotion with data, and intuition with research in everything we do. Whether in business strategy or design, culture or code, we seek the magic that happens when the often separate worlds of art and science come together.
People are Paramount: We spend extraordinary energy finding the best person for a job—and once found, we give them the trust and autonomy to be CEO of their role. We avoid pointless bureaucracy and prefer to empower people with information rather than limit them with process.
Quality Worthy of Art: We aim to create an experience worthy of all the world’s art and so hold ourselves to the highest standards in all our work. We believe that the best long term quality comes from rapid shipping, iterating, and learning as we go.
Positive Energy: We know positivity and optimism benefit our work, and we harness positive energy as a vehicle towards greater awareness, growth, and collaboration. We believe in cultivating a positive relationship to art as opposed to one based on exclusivity or scarcity.
Openness: We believe in being open with each other and the world—whether in open-sourcing our code, sharing feedback, or building a diverse and inclusive work culture. We believe in bringing our full selves to work and manifesting an open world where everyone has access to art.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.