Associate General Counsel
Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, offering more than 1 million works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 leading galleries, fairs, auction houses, and institutions across 190 countries.
We are currently seeking a passionate and analytical associate general counsel with 5+ years of experience to join our legal team. This role is based in New York City.
You will partner closely with business and technology teams to give advice on a broad range of legal issues, including corporate matters, commercial transactions, privacy, and intellectual property law. The ideal candidate is excited about e-commerce, passionate about art and comfortable dealing with issues of first impression at the intersection of the two. This role reports to the Chief Financial Officer/General Counsel and has one direct report.
What You’ll Do:
- Structure, draft, and negotiate a variety of commercial and intellectual property agreements, ranging from standard contracts to complex strategic partnerships critical to the company.
- Advise internal teams, including sales, operations, marketing, product and engineering on how the company can work within the law to launch innovative products and initiatives.
- Analyze products and features built by Artsy’s talented engineering and product teams and advise such teams with the ability to balance commercial, marketing, compliance and privacy concerns.
- Design training programs for various business teams.
- Advise on advertising and marketing matters, including handling regulatory issues regarding digital media and reviewing and clearing marketing content for publication.
- Create scalable processes for resolving a high volume of disparate legal issues from all areas of the business.
- Assist with corporate matters including board meetings, capital formation activities, M&A and other strategic initiatives.
Who You Are:
We welcome you to apply regardless of “checking all the boxes” below, and are excited to hear what you can bring to the team.
- JD and New York state bar membership or registered in-house attorney status in New York.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in an AMLaw 100 law firm; prior in house legal experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with legal issues related to sales, engineering, marketing and product development for e-commerce companies.
- Strong commercial negotiation and drafting skills and attention to detail.
- A practical, business-oriented approach and ability to translate legal issues into clear guidance for non-lawyers.
- Flexibility necessary to thrive at an ambitious, dynamic company.
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization in a fast-paced environment while building strong internal relationships and influence across departments.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple critical projects, working independently and under tight deadlines.
What We Offer:
- Opportunity to reimagine the art industry while working with a talented, diverse, international team.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Flexible time off: we empower Artsy employees to take time off based on their desires and needs that matter most to them
- We are a distributed-first company where employees have the flexibility to work from home. Offices are available for employees in New York, London, and Berlin. (In-person recommendations, and location will vary by role)
- Comprehensive healthcare & benefit options, including: medical, dental, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, Employee Assistance Program featuring free mental health support, 401k, commuter benefits, flexible spending accounts (FSA), health savings accounts (HSA), financial wellness support & resources, and more
- Professional development, including: mentoring, lunch & learns, regular training, 1:1 management, and an open feedback culture
- Engaging opportunities and internal programming globally, to foster new relationships and build upon our collaborative community. Including: happy hours, holiday parties, global "All Hands" meetings, "Artsy Salon" (a yearly exhibition of our team's creativity), attendance to art world events, and more
To apply, please submit your application here. When you apply, you will be directed to a third party site.
ARTSY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE VALUE A DIVERSE WORKFORCE AND AN INCLUSIVE CULTURE. WE ENCOURAGE APPLICATIONS FROM ALL QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, GENDER, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY OR EXPRESSION, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, MARITAL STATUS, DISABILITY, AND VETERAN STATUS.
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
For the Love of Art: We have relentless curiosity, empathy, and passion for collectors, artists, and the art market. We are here to make the art world more fair and welcoming.
Own Our Outcomes: We are all individual owners of Artsy’s shared success. We are resourceful and resilient, and to get the job done, we each take responsibility for our outcomes.
Lead with Openness: We trust in our teammates. We seek diverse perspectives, communicate authentically, and act with integrity. A more open art world starts with us.
Transform Together: Our mission asks us to challenge the status quo. We embrace feedback, learning, and change so that we can transform our industry, our company, and ourselves.
Impact Over Perfection: Using both art and science, we debate and decide swiftly and iterate on our plans as we learn. To make the biggest impact, we prioritize speed and clarity of action over perfection.