Content Editorial Intern
Artsy Editorial is looking for two Content Editorial Interns to join the team. One intern will focus on news writing and collaborate with our News/Market team to cover industry happenings primarily in the art world and art market. Our second intern will have the opportunity to write longer, reported stories about contemporary art, art history, creativity, and visual culture (visual culture spans photography, design, visual trends in pop culture, and more).
We ask that your cover letter indicate which position you are applying to based on your experience and passion.
Both Content Editorial Interns will work closely with other members of Artsy’s close-knit Editorial Team, which strives to cover these areas more broadly in a way that is intellectually stimulating and rigorous while also being accessible.
The ideal candidate is a nimble and confident writer who excels at communicating clearly and concisely. She or he has experience writing in a journalistic capacity, is obsessed with meeting deadlines, and is excited about working in a fast-paced online publishing environment. The ideal candidate is also meticulous with the accuracy of reporting in both other writers’ stories and their own writing. We are looking for interns who understand that the fundamental skill of fact-checking is a key building block for becoming good journalists.
- Write 1–2 ~400 word news blurbs every day
- Play a crucial role in the execution of day-to-day Artsy Editorial daily by fact-checking news blurbs, and potentially 1–2 longer, reported stories
- Assist editors and writers with research projects for features
- Have the opportunity to pitch and write 2–3 stories a month
- Attend weekly editorial meetings and bi-weekly vertical meetings to help brainstorm ideas and better understand Artsy’s editorial strategy
- Opportunity to pick up editing news blurbs and determine news coverage with market editor and senior reporter
- The ideal candidate is a nimble and confident writer who excels at communicating clearly and concisely.
- You must be able to write clean copy in a short article news format and feel comfortable filing multiple pieces a day on tight deadlines.
- You have experience writing in a journalistic capacity, are committed to meeting deadlines, and are excited about working in a fast-paced online publishing environment.
- You are comfortable handling long-term and large-scale research projects, and exercise thorough due diligence when it comes to fact-checking.
- You have experience confirming the veracity of both your own reporting and the reporting of others with thoroughness and speed.
- You have a background in journalism, experience working at an arts or culture publication, and/or a background in art history.
- You are passionate about online publishing.
- You feel very comfortable undertaking extensive independent research and fact-checking tasks.
- You should have an expressed interest in contemporary art, art history, and visual culture with a strong desire to learn more.
- You are a strategic thinker, and a strong collaborator who is excited to be part of a dynamic, close-knit editorial team, and you get a thrill out of working in a fast-paced environment.
This is a paid, six-month internship and starts early summer in our Manhattan offices. When you apply, you will be directed to a third party site.
To apply, please submit your resumé, a cover letter (stating which focus you are best suited for based on your experience and passion), and three relevant writing samples published through a digital publication or print here.
Artsy empowers a global audience to learn about, discover, and collect art. Our mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world.
We partner with leading museums, international galleries, auction houses, and art fairs to create the world’s largest marketplace for art, transforming one of the last industries to fully embrace technology by creating a more accessible and connected digital landscape for art consumption.
Artsy is a company with a culture that naturally empowers its employees to do their best and most creative work. We are working to expand access to the art world, deepen passion and engagement with art and those who create it, and impact culture on a global scale. At Artsy, we envision a future where everyone is moved by art everyday.
At Artsy there are no specific work hours or policies, no pointless bureaucracy. We only care that you achieve inspiring results and are a joy to work with. This means you must be highly energetic, enthusiastic, and resourceful—no problem is too big or too small for you to tackle. You will enjoy both responsibility and autonomy in your work.
WORKING AT ARTSY
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
Art x Science: We believe in uniting empathy with logic, emotion with data, and intuition with research in everything we do. Whether in business strategy or design, culture or code, we seek the magic that happens when the often separate worlds of art and science come together.
People are Paramount: We spend extraordinary energy finding the best person for a job—and once found, we give them the trust and autonomy to be CEO of their role. We avoid pointless bureaucracy and prefer to empower people with information rather than limit them with process.
Quality Worthy of Art: We aim to create an experience worthy of all the world’s art and so hold ourselves to the highest standards in all our work. We believe that the best long term quality comes from rapid shipping, iterating, and learning as we go.
Positive Energy: We know positivity and optimism benefit our work, and we harness positive energy as a vehicle towards greater awareness, growth, and collaboration. We believe in cultivating a positive relationship to art as opposed to one based on exclusivity or scarcity.
Openness: We believe in being open with each other and the world—whether in open-sourcing our code, sharing feedback, or building a diverse and inclusive work culture. We believe in bringing our full selves to work and manifesting an open world where everyone has access to art.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.