Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, with more than 1,000,000 works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 of the world’s leading galleries, auction houses, art fairs, and institutions across 190 countries.
We are currently seeking a passionate and analytical corporate attorney with 2-4 years of experience to join our legal team.
You will partner closely with business and technology teams to give advice on a broad range of legal issues, including corporate matters, commercial transactions, privacy, and intellectual property law. The ideal candidate is excited about e-commerce, passionate about art and comfortable dealing with issues of first impression at the intersection of the two.
- Structure, draft, and negotiate a variety of commercial and intellectual property agreements, ranging from standard contracts to complex strategic partnerships critical to the company.
- Advise internal teams, including sales, operations, marketing, product and engineering on how the company can work within the law to launch innovative products and initiatives.
- Analyze products and features built by Artsy’s talented engineering and product teams and advise such teams with the ability to balance commercial, marketing, compliance and privacy concerns.
- Design training programs for various business teams.
- Advise on advertising and marketing matters, including handling regulatory issues regarding digital media and reviewing and clearing marketing content for publication.
- Create scalable processes for resolving a high volume of disparate legal issues from all areas of the business.
- Assist with corporate matters including board meetings, capital formation activities, M&A and other strategic initiatives.
- JD and New York state bar membership or registered in-house attorney status in New York.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department.
- Experience with legal issues related to sales, engineering, marketing and product development for e-commerce companies.
- Strong commercial negotiation and drafting skills and attention to detail.
- Experience representing art dealers, galleries, collectors or auction houses is preferred.
- A practical, business-oriented approach and ability to translate legal issues into clear guidance for non-lawyers.
- Flexibility necessary to thrive at an ambitious, dynamic company.
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization in a fast-paced environment while building strong internal relationships and influence across departments.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple critical projects, working independently and under tight deadlines.
To apply, please submit your resumé and a cover letter here. When you apply, you will be directed to a third party site.
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
Art x Science: We believe in uniting empathy with logic, emotion with data, and intuition with research in everything we do. Whether in business strategy or design, culture or code, we seek the magic that happens when the often separate worlds of art and science come together.
People are Paramount: We spend extraordinary energy finding the best person for a job—and once found, we give them the trust and autonomy to be CEO of their role. We avoid pointless bureaucracy and prefer to empower people with information rather than limit them with process.
Quality Worthy of Art: We aim to create an experience worthy of all the world’s art and so hold ourselves to the highest standards in all our work. We believe that the best long term quality comes from rapid shipping, iterating, and learning as we go.
Positive Energy: We know positivity and optimism benefit our work, and we harness positive energy as a vehicle towards greater awareness, growth, and collaboration. We believe in cultivating a positive relationship to art as opposed to one based on exclusivity or scarcity.
Openness: We believe in being open with each other and the world—whether in open-sourcing our code, sharing feedback, or building a diverse and inclusive work culture. We believe in bringing our full selves to work and manifesting an open world where everyone has access to art.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.