Director, Global Strategic Partnerships
Artsy seeks an experienced business development professional to lead our Global Strategic Partnerships team, responsible for establishing and growing relationships with key art market participants such as fairs, gallery weekends, biennials / triennials, and gallery associations in order to grow Artsy’s world-wide presence.
The art market is the last major consumer marketplace to come online and, with over $10B in commercial inventory, Artsy is the first company to aggregate the lion’s share of it onto a single platform. Artsy is also the first platform where virtually all the world’s major galleries, museums, fairs, and auction houses have listed inventory–from Sotheby’s contemporary sales to ancient relics in The Met’s permanent collection. Artsy’s platform is global. 70% of our partners are internationally based and our average transaction distance is over 3,000 miles, the highest of any platform on the Internet. Artsy is the largest art marketplace and most comprehensive art platform in the world–help us use that platform to manifest a world where art is as ubiquitous as music.
You will work closely with our Head of Galleries, Fairs & Institutions (your manager) and key members of the GFI team. While GFI is our most mature business, we estimate there are still tens of thousands of galleries worldwide that currently do not use Artsy; many of which are targets for our subscription business. As Director of Global Strategic Partnerships, you will lead a team of 9 people (4 direct reports) responsible for forming and managing partnerships with entities that will further Artsy’s brand in key regions - thereby driving growth in both galleries and collectors on Artsy’s platform.
- Driving the development of the strategic partnership strategy, and aligning with GFI leadership on key regions and target partners of focus.
- Working across multiple GFI and Artsy-wide teams to define ways to maximize the impact of strategic partnerships.
- Developing a process with the Marketing and Sales teams to ensure that gallery prospects related to an event (e.g., fair, gallery weekend) are actioned on.
- Coordinating with the Communications team to determine PR strategies for key events / partnerships.
- Working with the Product team to identify future offerings.
- Working with the Operations team to track and analyze the impact of Strategic Partnerships on gallery activations and collector acquisition.
- Coaching team members in the strategic approach and negotiation of partnership opportunities.
- Developing the Galleries, Fairs & Institutions team alongside key stakeholders, and mentoring team members in order to help advance individual growth at Artsy.
- Pro-active–you are always one step ahead, thinking about the next potential challenge or opportunity.
- A strategic thinker - you are able to assess markets and narrow in on the greatest areas of opportunity.
- An effective collaborator–you know how to gather input and contributions from complementary teams while driving the bus and pushing work with extreme agility and focus on deadlines.
- Experienced in business development / partnership sales–several years of experience driving growth through partnerships.
- An inspiring leader - someone with a strong ability to develop others and to lead cross-functional teams, driving a team to reach new heights.
- A great communicator – whether through Slides/PPT, Excel or verbally, you communicate with clarity and precision.
- Connected and passionate about the art world, and excited to align your life purpose with Artsy’s vision for a future where everyone is moved by art every day, and you share our values (detailed below).
- 5-10 years in sales or business development.
- Experience aligning multiple teams to drive execution.
- Experience managing / leading teams.
This position is full-time and starts immediately in our Manhattan offices. To apply, please submit your resumé and a cover letter here. When you apply, you will be directed to a third party site.
Artsy empowers a global audience to learn about, discover, and collect art. Our mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world.
We partner with leading museums, international galleries, auction houses, and art fairs to create the world’s largest marketplace for art, transforming one of the last industries to fully embrace technology by creating a more accessible and connected digital landscape for art consumption.
Artsy is a company with a culture that naturally empowers its employees to do their best and most creative work. We are working to expand access to the art world, deepen passion and engagement with art and those who create it, and impact culture on a global scale. At Artsy, we envision a future where everyone is moved by art everyday.
At Artsy there are no specific work hours or policies, no pointless bureaucracy. We only care that you achieve inspiring results and are a joy to work with. This means you must be highly energetic, enthusiastic, and resourceful—no problem is too big or too small for you to tackle. You will enjoy both responsibility and autonomy in your work.
WORKING AT ARTSY
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
Art x Science: We believe in uniting empathy with logic, emotion with data, and intuition with research in everything we do. Whether in business strategy or design, culture or code, we seek the magic that happens when the often separate worlds of art and science come together.
People are Paramount: We spend extraordinary energy finding the best person for a job—and once found, we give them the trust and autonomy to be CEO of their role. We avoid pointless bureaucracy and prefer to empower people with information rather than limit them with process.
Quality Worthy of Art: We aim to create an experience worthy of all the world’s art and so hold ourselves to the highest standards in all our work. We believe that the best long term quality comes from rapid shipping, iterating, and learning as we go.
Positive Energy: We know positivity and optimism benefit our work, and we harness positive energy as a vehicle towards greater awareness, growth, and collaboration. We believe in cultivating a positive relationship to art as opposed to one based on exclusivity or scarcity.
Openness: We believe in being open with each other and the world—whether in open-sourcing our code, sharing feedback, or building a diverse and inclusive work culture. We believe in bringing our full selves to work and manifesting an open world where everyone has access to art.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.