Editorial News Intern
The Artsy Editorial team is looking for two Editorial News Interns who will have an equal focus on journalistic news writing and fact checking. These are 6-month, full-time positions that starts in early 2020 in our Manhattan offices.
Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, with more than 1,000,000 works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 of the world’s leading galleries, auction houses, art fairs, and institutions across 190 countries.
The Editorial News Interns will work closely with other members of Artsy’s close-knit Editorial Team, which strives to cover the art world, art market, and creative fields more broadly in a way that is intellectually stimulating and rigorous while also being accessible.
In addition to writing daily news items and fact-checking articles, you will gain a broad understanding of contemporary art and the art market. Through working closely with editors and writers, you’ll gain technical writing skills, while learning about the inner-workings of an online editorial publication.
- This role will be focused equally on journalistic writing in the format of short, concise news articles, as well as efficient, thorough, and diligent fact checking.
- You must be able to write clean copy in a short article news format and feel comfortable filing multiple pieces a day on tight deadlines.
- You should have experience fact-checking the work of other writers and a firm understanding of how to meticulously confirm facts while also keeping track of timing and deadlines.
- You should also have experience editing the work of other writers in a newsroom setting.
- You should have experience working in a newsroom setting with multiple editors and be comfortable structuring and pitching longer, reported stories.
- You must have experience working in a fast-paced environment and juggling multiple tasks at a time with a natural ability for prioritization.
- You understand the importance of being a clear and diplomatic communicator in a newsroom and that communication is essential to a successful publication.
- You have a background in journalism, experience working at an arts or culture publication, and/or a background in art history.
- You are a nimble and confident writer who excels at communicating clearly and concisely.
- You have experience writing in a journalistic capacity, are obsessed with meeting deadlines, and excited about working in a fast-paced online publishing environment.
- You are comfortable handling long-term and large-scale research projects, and exercise thorough due diligence when it comes to fact-checking.
- You have experience confirming the accuracy of both your own reporting and the reporting of others with thoroughness and speed, and are comfortable editing the work of other journalists.
- You are passionate about online publishing.
- You feel very comfortable undertaking extensive independent research and fact-checking tasks.
- You should have an expressed interest in contemporary art and art history with a strong desire to learn more.
- You are a strategic thinker, and a strong collaborator who is excited to be part of a dynamic, close-knit editorial team, and you get a thrill out of working in a fast-paced environment.
This is a paid, six-month internship and starts in early 2020. To apply, please submit your resumé, a cover letter, and three writing samples (published through a digital publication) here.
When you apply, you will be directed to a third party site.
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
Art x Science: We believe in uniting empathy with logic, emotion with data, and intuition with research in everything we do. Whether in business strategy or design, culture or code, we seek the magic that happens when the often separate worlds of art and science come together.
People are Paramount: We spend extraordinary energy finding the best person for a job—and once found, we give them the trust and autonomy to be CEO of their role. We avoid pointless bureaucracy and prefer to empower people with information rather than limit them with process.
Quality Worthy of Art: We aim to create an experience worthy of all the world’s art and so hold ourselves to the highest standards in all our work. We believe that the best long term quality comes from rapid shipping, iterating, and learning as we go.
Positive Energy: We know positivity and optimism benefit our work, and we harness positive energy as a vehicle towards greater awareness, growth, and collaboration. We believe in cultivating a positive relationship to art as opposed to one based on exclusivity or scarcity.
Openness: We believe in being open with each other and the world—whether in open-sourcing our code, sharing feedback, or building a diverse and inclusive work culture. We believe in bringing our full selves to work and manifesting an open world where everyone has access to art.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.