As an Engineering Manager you will serve a team of ~5 individual contributors that work across our product teams. You will be directly responsible for your report's career, growth and compensation at Artsy by setting and reviewing clear goals and expectations that are measured against peer reviews and business impact. You will conduct regular 1:1s with reports where you will discuss goal progress, provide mentorship, and gauge team climate. You and your managing peers will also be responsible for hiring and growing the larger team.
Throughout your career you have committed yourself to products over multiple releases and shipped software as an individual contributor, technical lead and people manager in a very strong team. You have participated in several open-source projects and maybe even maintained a few. You're passionate about beautiful code and inspiring products and are looking for an opportunity to build something that users love. You set an example for the entire team.
- Directly manage 3-5 individual contributors and enable them to do their best work.
- Positively contribute to Artsy culture and represent its values.
- Contribute to Artsy's strong retention by cultivating a happy, motivated, and energized team.
- Recognize great work and minimize tensions around mistakes or poor performance.
- Source, screen, interview and hire talented Engineers.
- Represent and advocate for the team in planning, product and design meetings.
- Facilitate constructive collaboration between teammates, business collaborators and peers.
- Work with other Engineering Managers to align priorities and build consensus.
- Help implement effective engineering processes and policies.
- Represent Artsy Engineering and Management inside Artsy and outside in the industry.
- Make time to contribute code, reduce technical debt and refactor.
- Demonstrates experience mentoring, growing and promoting individuals on a team, responsible for hiring and compensation.
- Practicing full stack software engineer that regularly contributes code to a modern distributed system within a mature product organization.
- Currently managing a team of engineers (experience overseeing other managers or technical leads a plus).
This position is full-time and starts immediately. To apply, please submit your resumé and a cover letter here. When you apply, you will be directed to a third party site.
Artsy empowers a global audience to learn about, discover, and collect art. Our mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world.
We partner with leading museums, international galleries, auction houses, and art fairs to create the world’s largest marketplace for art, transforming one of the last industries to fully embrace technology by creating a more accessible and connected digital landscape for art consumption.
Artsy is a company with a culture that naturally empowers its employees to do their best and most creative work. We are working to expand access to the art world, deepen passion and engagement with art and those who create it, and impact culture on a global scale. At Artsy, we envision a future where everyone is moved by art everyday.
At Artsy there are no specific work hours or policies, no pointless bureaucracy. We only care that you achieve inspiring results and are a joy to work with. This means you must be highly energetic, enthusiastic, and resourceful—no problem is too big or too small for you to tackle. You will enjoy both responsibility and autonomy in your work.
WORKING AT ARTSY
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
Art x Science: We believe in uniting empathy with logic, emotion with data, and intuition with research in everything we do. Whether in business strategy or design, culture or code, we seek the magic that happens when the often separate worlds of art and science come together.
People are Paramount: We spend extraordinary energy finding the best person for a job—and once found, we give them the trust and autonomy to be CEO of their role. We avoid pointless bureaucracy and prefer to empower people with information rather than limit them with process.
Quality Worthy of Art: We aim to create an experience worthy of all the world’s art and so hold ourselves to the highest standards in all our work. We believe that the best long term quality comes from rapid shipping, iterating, and learning as we go.
Positive Energy: We know positivity and optimism benefit our work, and we harness positive energy as a vehicle towards greater awareness, growth, and collaboration. We believe in cultivating a positive relationship to art as opposed to one based on exclusivity or scarcity.
Openness: We believe in being open with each other and the world—whether in open-sourcing our code, sharing feedback, or building a diverse and inclusive work culture. We believe in bringing our full selves to work and manifesting an open world where everyone has access to art.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.