Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, with more than 1,000,000 works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 of the world’s leading galleries, auction houses, art fairs, and institutions across 190 countries.
The art market is the last major consumer marketplace to come online and, with over $30B in commercial inventory, Artsy is the first company to aggregate the lion’s share of it onto a single platform. Our Engineering team is central to unlocking the full potential of Artsy’s marketplace to enable connectivity across art buyers and sellers globally.
In support of creating a diverse and comprehensive global marketplace, we are currently seeking an Engineering Manager to lead the expansion of our Engineering presence in Berlin. You will be responsible for driving our engineering team growth internationally and cultivating a motivated and inspired team. You have experience managing distributed teams and, preferably, have helped bootstrap an engineering site.
Throughout your career you have committed yourself to products over multiple releases and shipped software as an individual contributor, technical lead and people manager within a strong tech organization.
You're equally passionate about beautiful code as you are building inspiring products that users love, in support of creating a world where people are moved by art every day.
- Build out the Berlin Engineering team — hire and grow a team of individual contributors and enable them to do their best work
- Cultivate a team culture that aligns with company goals and Artsy’s mission/vision/values
- Set direct reports up for success in a distributed team organization — enable individual career growth, development, and business impact
- Represent and advocate for the engineering team in planning, product and design meetings
- Facilitate constructive collaboration between teammates, business stakeholders, and peers
- Work with other Engineering Managers to align priorities and build consensus
- Help implement effective engineering processes and policies
- Make time to contribute code, reduce technical debt and refactor —*Own your dependencies by interfacing with open source community to solve problems when necessary
- Leverage your impact by sharing your expertise via Lunch & Learns, blog posts, pair programming, mentoring, and other avenues.
- Authorized to live and work in Berlin
- Can recruit a world-class engineering team; brings a “servant leadership” approach to developing and empowering their team to achieve its greatest potential
- Thought leader — brings diverse perspective, experience, and DNA to Artsy’s Engineering team and decision making
- Ability to align and manage distributed teams internationally
- Practices full stack software engineer that regularly contributes code to a modern distributed system within a mature product organization.
- Currently managing a team of engineers. Experience managing other managers or technical leads is a plus
- Experience with matrixed engineering org strongly preferred
- Has strong opinions, loosely held. You will change our team, and our team will change you.
- Feels resonance with Artsy’s vision along with its engineering principles
This position is full-time and starts immediately. Candidates must be authorized to work and live in Berlin. To apply, please submit your resumé and a cover letter here. When you apply, you will be directed to a third party site.
About Artsy Engineering
Artsy's engineering principles are open source. We encourage knowledge building and sharing within the larger tech community through open source software, blog posts, and other free resources. Artsy would rather proudly discover (and improve) an existing tool than build it ourselves from scratch. Through our work, we try to create more value than we capture. That means that when we learn something new, we try to share that knowledge through blog posts and open source documentation. A successful candidate will bring their own unique perspective to help us achieve this mission.
At Artsy there are no specific work hours or policies, no pointless bureaucracy. We only care that you achieve inspiring results and are a joy to work with. This means you must be highly energetic, enthusiastic, and resourceful—no problem is too big or too small for you to tackle. You will enjoy both responsibility and autonomy in your work.
Working At Artsy
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
Art x Science: We believe in uniting empathy with logic, emotion with data, and intuition with research in everything we do. Whether in business strategy or design, culture or code, we seek the magic that happens when the often separate worlds of art and science come together.
People are Paramount: We spend extraordinary energy finding the best person for a job—and once found, we give them the trust and autonomy to be CEO of their role. We avoid pointless bureaucracy and prefer to empower people with information rather than limit them with process.
Quality Worthy of Art: We aim to create an experience worthy of all the world’s art and so hold ourselves to the highest standards in all our work. We believe that the best long term quality comes from rapid shipping, iterating, and learning as we go.
Positive Energy: We know positivity and optimism benefit our work, and we harness positive energy as a vehicle towards greater awareness, growth, and collaboration. We believe in cultivating a positive relationship to art as opposed to one based on exclusivity or scarcity.
Openness: We believe in being open with each other and the world—whether in open-sourcing our code, sharing feedback, or building a diverse and inclusive work culture. We believe in bringing our full selves to work and manifesting an open world where everyone has access to art.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.