Full Stack Software Engineer
You're an experienced full stack software engineer with an impressive track record in building complex distributed applications. You have experience with relational databases and document or key-value stores. You can show architect-level understanding of large systems in which you played an integral role. Throughout your career you have committed yourself to products over multiple releases and shipped software as an individual contributor or technical lead in a very strong team. You have participated in several open-source projects and maybe even maintained a few. You're passionate about beautiful code and inspiring products and are looking for an opportunity to build something that users love.
We are currently looking for an addition to our Partner Success team which focuses on happiness of our partners. We build tools and services to streamline their workflow and maximize their presence, ranging from Content Management Systems (CMS), messaging and online payment systems, to admin tools. To summarize in one sentence, we work very closely with our internal liaisons and our art world partners, and tackle every corner of the day-to-day problems that they face to help them succeed.
In this position, you will be responsible for developing products throughout the stack, from client-side technology like React to back-end data modeling, and working with designers and stakeholders to iterate on them and track performance. You will own multiple projects, make tech decisions and help them evolve. Choosing technologies, executing, and learning from doing will be what drives you, and you will grow with the products and the team.
Artsy has many, many services and applications in production. Check out our latest blog post about our tech stack.
WHAT IS ARTSY?
In a sentence, Artsy is like Pandora for the fine art world. Our goal: we want to make the traditionally closed-off and intimidating art world easily accessible to anyone with an Internet connection. We believe that by increasing access, we can expand the market and get more people educated and passionate about fine art.
WHY WORK AT ARTSY?
- First and foremost, you will get to work with an amazing team. We invest an extraordinary amount of time finding the best possible people. This means we go through many candidates before making an offer, but as you know, five great engineers are better than a hundred good ones.
- High alignment between Artsy's business goals and user experience goals. The larger an audience we reach, the more we educate them, and the more we help them discover art they love, the better our business does, and the more we support our institutional partners and the artists they represent.
- There are no set hours or holidays, no pointless bureaucracy. Work whenever you want, wherever you want. That's the beauty of hiring world-class people, they deliver incredible results and are wonderful to work with — what else matters? The Netflix Culture slides do the best job of describing how we think about culture at Artsy.
- To create an awesome UX we employ cutting-edge technologies such as Node.js, TypeScript, React and React Native, Relay, Backbone.js, CoffeeScript, Haml, Sass, Ruby on Rails, and MongoDB; but when we can't find a technology that does what we need…
- We write our own open-source projects and contribute them back to the community.
- We are solving very hard problems. To make art historically relevant recommendations, you can't rely on collaborative filtering alone. We do real-time search in 800 dimensional space (one dimension for every art historical category). We are also working on semantic search, fuzzy full-text search, visual similarity search, and high-resolution image tiling and security among others.
- At its core, Artsy is a technology company. In addition to the engineering team, both the CEO and COO have technical backgrounds (Computer Science from Princeton, and Mathematics from Columbia). Our ultimate goal is to create Artificial Intelligence with the qualities of the world's most omniscient art advisor. If Skynet ends up winning, at least it will have good taste :).
- We have partnered with over 4,000 of the largest galleries in the world, 60 major art museums and all major auction houses. No start-up has ever come so close to unlocking this massive data set before.
- Our downtown Manhattan office has stunning 360 degree views of New York across 3 floors. You can see the horizon in all 4 directions, the iconic midtown and downtown skylines, the Hudson and East rivers.
- At Artsy, we are bringing art, science, design, and engineering together. Forgive the cliche, but there's no better way to say it: we want to change the world.
If you want to change it with us, please drop us a line and include some links to what you've built here.
WORKING AT ARTSY
In addition to our vision of a world where art is as popular as music, Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
Art x Science: We believe in uniting empathy with logic, emotion with data, and intuition with research in everything we do. Whether in business strategy or design, culture or code, we seek the magic that happens when the often separate worlds of art and science come together.
People are Paramount: We spend extraordinary energy finding the best person for a job—and once found, we give them the trust and autonomy to be CEO of their role. We avoid pointless bureaucracy and prefer to empower people with information rather than limit them with process.
Quality Worthy of Art: We aim to create an experience worthy of all the world’s art and so hold ourselves to the highest standards in all our work. We believe that the best long term quality comes from rapid shipping, iterating, and learning as we go.
Positive Energy: We know positivity and optimism benefit our work, and we harness positive energy as a vehicle towards greater awareness, growth, and collaboration. We believe in cultivating a positive relationship to art as opposed to one based on exclusivity or scarcity.
Openness: We believe in being open with each other and the world—whether in open-sourcing our code, sharing feedback, or building a diverse and inclusive work culture. We believe in bringing our full selves to work and manifesting an open world where everyone has access to art.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.