Full-Stack Software Engineer, Metadata
You're a versatile full stack software engineer used to wearing many hats. You’ve worked with large web-based systems and a variety of databases. You have experience combining APIs and other data sources to build powerful tools, and you are interested in deriving meaningful insights from vast data.
You will help us fuel art discovery on Artsy by:
- Architecting and building the internal apps used by The Art Genome Project to annotate hundreds of thousands of artworks.
- Database architecture support and art data integrity.
Depending on your background, additional focus areas may include designing and optimizing similarity and recommendation algorithms for art.
WHAT IS ARTSY?
In a sentence, Artsy is like Pandora for the fine art world. Our goal: using artificial intelligence, we want to make the traditionally closed-off and intimidating art world easily accessible to anyone with an Internet connection. We believe that by increasing access, we can expand the market and get more people educated and passionate about fine art.
Artsy is fueled by The Art Genome Project, a vocabulary for art and design and an art discovery engine; it consists of a team of art historians who research and annotate approximately 10,000 art objects per month. We use this data to power a dynamic artwork discovery experience. You can read more about The Art Genome Project here, or browse our art blog here.
ARTSY’S CULTURE AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- At its core, Artsy is a technology company. In addition to the engineering team, both the CEO and COO have technical backgrounds (Computer Science from Princeton, and Mathematics from Columbia). Our ultimate goal is to create Artificial Intelligence with the qualities of the world's most omniscient art advisor. If Skynet ends up winning, at least it will have good taste :).
- To create an awesome UX we employ cutting-edge technologies such as Node.js,Backbone.js, Coffeescript, Haml, Sass, Ruby on Rails, and MongoDB; but when we can't find a technology that does what we need… In fact our initial iteration of a genoming app was built using React (read more here).
- We write our own open-source projects and contribute them back to the community.
- There are no set hours or holidays, no pointless bureaucracy. Work whenever you want, wherever you want. That's the beauty of hiring world-class people, they deliver incredible results and are wonderful to work with — what else matters? The Netflix Culture slides do the best job of describing how we think about culture at Artsy.
- Our downtown Manhattan office has stunning 360 degree views of New York. You can see the horizon in all 4 directions, the iconic midtown and downtown skylines, the Hudson and East rivers. This is where we do Stand-up.
- We have super-value-add investors and advisors including: Peter Thiel, Jack Dorsey, Eric Schmidt, Joe Kennedy (CEO of Pandora), Charlie Cheever (Quora founder), Alexis O'Hanian (Reddit founder), Keith Rabois (COO Square), Founder Collective, Dave Morin (Path founder), Wendi Murdoch, Dasha Zhukova, and Thrive Capital.
- At Artsy, we are bringing art, science, design, and engineering together. We hire engineers who are creative and empathetic, and we hire art historians who can think analytically and make data-informed decisions. The Genome Team in particular lives at the intersection of art and science (we are currently all art historians, but 3 out of 4 of us have at least one commit to Artsy’s code base under our belt). We want to help users find, discover, and fall in love with art.
If you do too, please drop us a line and include some links to what you've built: firstname.lastname@example.org.