As Artsy’s General Counsel, you will support the Chief Operating Officer, Chief Executive Officer, and other members of the Leadership team to provide oversight over all company legal issues, and to drive Artsy’s legal strategy regarding general commercial, general corporate, intellectual property, internet and eCommerce, corporate governance, corporate finance and other matters.
- Lead Artsy’s Legal team, providing legal and strategic guidance on all company matters.
- Provide oversight over and mentorship for other member(s) of the Legal team.
- Provide strategic advice from legal and business perspectives to the Leadership team.
- Oversee relationships and work product of external counsel and other service providers.
- Manage dispute resolutions and provide risk management advice over same.
- Lead strategy on company intellectual property portfolio, including copyright and trademark.
- Assist Finance and Accounting to manage Artsy’s cap table on Carta.
- Lead and provide oversight over execution of Artsy’s strategy regarding privacy, security, GDPR and other internet business issues.
- Lead Artsy’s legal strategy over its international subsidiaries, collaborating with Finance, Accounting, and People Ops on same.
- Lead other legal projects, including compliance, enterprise risk management, and public policy matters.
- 12~15+ years relevant experience practicing law at a firm and/or in-house
- Organized; ability to meet deadlines; seasoned in legal practice to identify issues requiring escalation/strategic planning; excellent communication skills; experience balancing legal research and practical risk to provide practical business-minded advice to internal business clients; flexible and creative; proactive self-starter
- Experience working in eCommerce a must
- Experience managing corporate financings a must
- Experience working on global corporate issues a strong plus
- Experience or familiarity with the workings of the art, gallery and auction industries preferred
- Ability to explain legal concepts to non-lawyers; flexible to accommodate diverse interests and needs
- JD degree; must be in good standing in at least one State Bar in the United States (New York State strongly preferred)
This position is full-time and starts immediately. To apply, please submit your resumé and a cover letter here. When you apply, you will be directed to a third party site.
Artsy empowers a global audience to learn about, discover, and collect art. Our mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world.
We partner with leading museums, international galleries, auction houses, and art fairs to create the world’s largest marketplace for art, transforming one of the last industries to fully embrace technology by creating a more accessible and connected digital landscape for art consumption.
Artsy is a company with a culture that naturally empowers its employees to do their best and most creative work. We are working to expand access to the art world, deepen passion and engagement with art and those who create it, and impact culture on a global scale. At Artsy, we envision a future where everyone is moved by art everyday.
At Artsy there are no specific work hours or policies, no pointless bureaucracy. We only care that you achieve inspiring results and are a joy to work with. This means you must be highly energetic, enthusiastic, and resourceful—no problem is too big or too small for you to tackle. You will enjoy both responsibility and autonomy in your work.
WORKING AT ARTSY
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
Art x Science: We believe in uniting empathy with logic, emotion with data, and intuition with research in everything we do. Whether in business strategy or design, culture or code, we seek the magic that happens when the often separate worlds of art and science come together.
People are Paramount: We spend extraordinary energy finding the best person for a job—and once found, we give them the trust and autonomy to be CEO of their role. We avoid pointless bureaucracy and prefer to empower people with information rather than limit them with process.
Quality Worthy of Art: We aim to create an experience worthy of all the world’s art and so hold ourselves to the highest standards in all our work. We believe that the best long term quality comes from rapid shipping, iterating, and learning as we go.
Positive Energy: We know positivity and optimism benefit our work, and we harness positive energy as a vehicle towards greater awareness, growth, and collaboration. We believe in cultivating a positive relationship to art as opposed to one based on exclusivity or scarcity.
Openness: We believe in being open with each other and the world—whether in open-sourcing our code, sharing feedback, or building a diverse and inclusive work culture. We believe in bringing our full selves to work and manifesting an open world where everyone has access to art.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.