Head of Cataloging and Authentication
Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, offering more than 1 million works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 leading galleries, fairs, auction houses, and institutions across 190 countries.
Artsy is seeking an experienced leader to oversee authentication, cataloging and listings compliance, and manage our team of expert cataloguers. You will play a key role in making Artsy the most trusted place to buy and sell the world's most in demand art by ensuring that all works on Artsy are accurate, authentic, compelling, and compliant with our marketplace policies.
This role is an opportunity to play a critical role in growing our secondary market business by developing scalable solutions to the complex challenges of authenticating, photographing and listing unique works of art from private collectors and professional sellers. You will develop quality standards for art authentication and cataloging, working closely with business lines, operations, and Trust & Safety to help define our risk profile.
The ideal candidate will be able to balance traditional art cataloging and authentication practices with an inviting, eCommerce user experience. You will be able to balance risk and reward, knowing where to reduce friction for our customers and where to uphold it to ensure the integrity and authenticity of all works listed on Artsy. You will be a resilient and agile operator– some days you will be empowering your team to deliver the highest quality results within the fast paced environment of auctions, other days you will be making judgments on multi-million-dollar deals.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage our Cataloging and Authentication team, including mentoring, coaching and motivating our Cataloguers, helping them achieve rapid impact and growing their knowledge of art authentication and cataloging
- Decrease returns and disputes across sales channels by ensuring works are authentic and accurately described; manage due diligence across sales channels
- Develop quality standards for due diligence and cataloging, balancing effort and risk at different price points, sales channels and inventory types
- Oversee inventory intake processes, using data and best practices to optimize catalog review and resourcing across all sales channels, and working effectively with client facing teams (Auction Specialists, Advisors, and Partnership Managers within our Professional Seller verticals)
- Enforce listings compliance across sales channels (image copyright, restricted content, restricted materials), working closely with Trust & Safety to make recommendations to policies
- Create actionable insights for our Product Team to drive improvements to artwork data infrastructure, artwork submissions forms, and front end listings display
- Develop our strategies for engaging third party resources (authenticators, photographers, appraisers, and business process outsourcers), building an international network, negotiating contracts and maintaining relationships
Who You Are:
We welcome you to apply regardless of “checking all the boxes” below, and are excited to hear what you can bring to the team.
- You are currently based in New York City
- Comprehensive knowledge of art authentication and cataloging practices, ideally in post-war and contemporary, street art or prints
- You have leadership experience and are able to rally a distributed team to solve a joint challenge
- You handle ambiguity well and are able to navigate the friction that comes from building new processes within a growing organization and a fast-paced, sometimes hectic environment
- Strong organizational and logistical skills a must; process-oriented and able to manage a team across multiple projects and work streams to meet deadlines
- Excellent judgment and decision making skills; rigorous risk assessment and able to balance risk and reward
What We Offer:
- Opportunity to reimagine the art industry while working with a talented, diverse, international team.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Flexible time off: we empower Artsy employees to take time off based on their desires and needs that matter most to them
- We are a distributed-first company where employees have the flexibility to work from home. Offices are available for employees in New York, London, and Berlin. (In-person recommendations, and location will vary by role)
- Comprehensive healthcare & benefit options, including: medical, dental, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, Employee Assistance Program featuring free mental health support, 401k, commuter benefits, flexible spending accounts (FSA), health savings accounts (HSA), financial wellness support & resources, and more
- Professional development, including: mentoring, lunch & learns, regular training, 1:1 management, and an open feedback culture
- Engaging opportunities and internal programming globally, to foster new relationships and build upon our collaborative community. Including: happy hours, holiday parties, global "All Hands" meetings, "Artsy Salon" (a yearly exhibition of our team's creativity), attendance to art world events, and more
This position is full-time and starts immediately. To apply, please submit your resumé and a cover letter here. When you apply, you will be directed to a third party site.
ARTSY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE VALUE A DIVERSE WORKFORCE AND AN INCLUSIVE CULTURE. WE ENCOURAGE APPLICATIONS FROM ALL QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, GENDER, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY OR EXPRESSION, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, MARITAL STATUS, DISABILITY, AND VETERAN STATUS.
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
For the Love of Art: We have relentless curiosity, empathy, and passion for collectors, artists, and the art market. We are here to make the art world more fair and welcoming.
Own Our Outcomes: We are all individual owners of Artsy’s shared success. We are resourceful and resilient, and to get the job done, we each take responsibility for our outcomes.
Lead with Openness: We trust in our teammates. We seek diverse perspectives, communicate authentically, and act with integrity. A more open art world starts with us.
Transform Together: Our mission asks us to challenge the status quo. We embrace feedback, learning, and change so that we can transform our industry, our company, and ourselves.
Impact Over Perfection: Using both art and science, we debate and decide swiftly and iterate on our plans as we learn. To make the biggest impact, we prioritize speed and clarity of action over perfection.