Head of Communications
Artsy seeks a Head of Communications to develop and implement dynamic press and event strategies to elevate and expand Artsy’s brand.
COMPANY AND TEAM
Artsy's mission is to make all the world's art accessible to anyone with an Internet connection.
With over $10B in for-sale inventory, Artsy is the world's largest online platform for art, featuring the world’s leading galleries, museum collections, foundations, artist estates, art fairs, and benefit auctions, all in one place. Our growing database of 400,000 images of art, architecture, and design by 50,000 artists spans historical, modern, and contemporary works, and includes the largest online database of contemporary art. Artsy is used by art lovers, museum-goers, patrons, collectors, students, and educators to discover, learn about, and collect art.
Artsy is led by Carter Cleveland (Founder and CEO) and Sebastian Cwilich (President and COO), and the growing team of 150+ represents top talent from the engineering, design, marketing, and art industries. Artsy’s investors include Dasha Zhukova, founder of Moscow’s Garage Center for Contemporary Culture; Wendi Murdoch, film producer; Larry Gagosian, owner of Gagosian Galleries; Peter Thiel, founder of Paypal, board of Facebook; Sky Dayton, founder of Earthlink and Boingo Wireless; Josh Kushner, managing partner of Thrive Capital; Rich Barton, the founder of Expedia, Glassdoor, and Zillow; the Rockefeller family; and Jack Dorsey, creator of Twitter. Most recently, Artsy’s series C was led by L Catterton Partners in Spring 2015.
This role leads the Artsy Communications team and supports Artsy’s mission by translating our business goals into communication and brand strategy, executing high-level press strategies, events, speaking engagements, and partnerships that position Artsy as the leading resource for both learning about and collecting art.
As the Head of Communications, you will be the principal owner and manager of Artsy’s relationships and communications with the media as well as lead our events strategy to meet communications and brand partnership goals.
As a member of the Artsy leadership team with extensive art world expertise and domain knowledge, you will provide strategic advice to Artsy's president/COO and CEO to help promote Artsy's communications goals, as well as larger strategic objectives.
- Manage a comprehensive and proactive strategy to establish media partnerships with major publications, with the aims of generating revenue, driving site traffic and user growth, and furthering Artsy's communications objectives
- Manage and iterate on our comprehensive event strategy to support Artsy's communications and strategic goals
- Recruit, hire, manage, and retain a world class team to support press and events work
- Work with Product and Editorial team to ensure our website functionality, copy (website, emails, etc), and overall user experience are aligned with our communications goals
- Ensure all internal stakeholders and teams (Brand Partnerships, Content, Listings) as well as all employees speak about Artsy consistently and in line with current goals and messaging
- Represent Artsy at major art world events as an important visible "face" of the company, as well as at speaking and media opportunities that help advance overall company objectives
- Develop and execute a comprehensive and innovative press strategy to publicize important Artsy business initiatives, projects, technology, and principals.
- Proven track record in leading global communications strategy for an online marketplace and/or art business
- Domain expertise in the art, fashion, or luxury markets
- Experience devising and leading successful press strategies for a complex and multi-faceted organization
- Experience developing and maintaining a strategic, creative events programming to support communication goals
- Ability to operate effectively in a highly complex business with varied yet closely interrelated priorities
- Impeccable written and verbal communication, superior organizational and project management skills, and strong analytical ability, both quantitative and qualitative
- Poise, charisma, and enthusiasm for acting as the face of Artsy in speaking and media opportunities to promote Artsy’s mission and objectives
To apply, please submit your resumé and a cover letter here.
The Head of Communications position is full-time and based at our beautiful offices in downtown Manhattan. Compensation is competitive and includes both a competitive salary and stock options.
At Artsy, there are no specific work hours or policies, no pointless bureaucracy. We only care that you achieve inspiring results and are a joy to work with. This means you must be highly energetic, enthusiastic, and resourceful. No problem is too big or too small for you to tackle. You will enjoy both responsibility and autonomy in your work.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.