The Product Designer will help establish and refine the experiences that Artsy’s collectors and potential collectors have when discovering and searching for artists, artworks, and more.
This role is part of Artsy’s Design team and will be working alongside product, engineering, product marketing, brand design, and business partners in a cross-functional group focused on collectors and potential collectors. This team conceives of, prototypes, develops, ships, iterates, and drives adoption of product features across web and native platforms. Artsy’s Design team addresses the full set of experiences and touchpoints that our audiences have, from research to product, brand strategy to copywriting. You’ll be a part of this hybrid team that encourages cross-disciplinary collaboration.
This is a unique design opportunity that sits at the heart of the art experience online. For enthusiasts and collectors alike, Artsy’s search and discovery features are ripe for innovation and quality solutions. As the designer for this team, you’ll be owning this effort from a user experience standpoint. This is an opportunity to expand and deepen skills in search UI and interactions across platforms. You’ll explore new models of suggestions and recommendations, and shape user behavior through data-driven experiments and qualitative research.
- Product Design – You’ll work collaboratively to create holistic product experiences that resolve and integrate many interactions, inputs, and feedback through UX, UI, and visual design practices.
- Product Thinking – You’ll lead the vision for the search and discover area of the Artsy user experience. Collaborating with the Product, Engineering, and Product Marketing teams, you’ll plan the roadmap, milestones, and goals to realize it. You’ll develop and communicate a clear point-of-view, and align your product vision with the larger company goals.
- Data-Informed Design – Using qualitative and quantitative data, you’ll identify important product insights. Throughout the design process, you’ll look for and lead opportunities to collect feedback to make informed choices. What you learn from your research, you’ll document and share back with the organization broadly, contributing to our shared knowledge base.
- Communication – You will communicate early and often throughout your design projects, both verbally and in writing. You’ll regularly listen to and process input and feedback from customers, peers, partners, and stakeholders and share your findings company wide. You’ll communicate complex ideas, problems, goals and your solutions in a way that enables productive progress and exceptional design output. When necessary, you’ll direct and lead group conversations, presentations, and product reviews.
- Visual Design – You’ll use existing visual guidelines and toolkits to produce designs and, when appropriate, you’ll create new patterns and styles that are unified with Artsy’s overall brand. This will include interfaces and views in Artsy’s iOS and web apps.Intentional and helpful visual hierarchy, exceptional attention to typographic detail, and scale-able solutions are expected.
- Process – You’ll facilitate collaboration by inviting input and creating visibility into your processes and work. You’ll have a deep and well-developed understanding of product development and design processes, and have cultivated a point of view on how to achieve success. You’ll use feedback and input from team members to help adapt your personal processes, and move forward in your designs with ease and confidence.
- Can synthesize interface, interaction, and user experience design into a cohesive product design experience.
- Can deliver illustrations within a defined style and extend a defined illustration language.
- Ability to create visual and verbal narrative to explain user’s experience, both current and intended.
- Imagine, scope, and design for multiple states & paths in an experience.
- Ability to synthesize customer needs and business opportunity into a product vision, then translate that vision into design concepts.
- Ability to incorporate research and identify necessary areas of validation that create clarity of purpose and value that the product represents for a user. Such as, hypothesis development and A/B experiment design.
- Qualitative research experience
- Can take complex topics and communicate them in simple, understandable ways
- Can work within, extending, and developing design systems
- Uses stages of process to orient themselves and others to the work
- You’ve shipped multiple products to customers and experienced a variety of product development processes.
- You bring with you a healthy design process of your own, and the ability to adapt that process to those around you.
- You’re well-versed in most of the contemporary product design, prototyping, and testing tools, and have evidence of trying and adapting to various ways of executing and delivering design output.
- Search, discovery, and recommendation interest is required and experience is a plus.
- Experience with consumer e-commerce, especially high-consideration purchases (think fashion, travel, homes, healthcare, etc.) are helpful, but not required.
The position is full-time and starts immediately. To apply, please submit your resumé and a cover letter here. When you apply, you will be directed to a third party site.
Artsy empowers a global audience to learn about, discover, and collect art. Our mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world.
We partner with leading museums, international galleries, auction houses, and art fairs to create the world’s largest marketplace for art, transforming one of the last industries to fully embrace technology by creating a more accessible and connected digital landscape for art consumption.
Artsy is a company with a culture that naturally empowers its employees to do their best and most creative work. We are working to expand access to the art world, deepen passion and engagement with art and those who create it, and impact culture on a global scale. At Artsy, we envision a future where everyone is moved by art everyday.
At Artsy there are no specific work hours or policies, no pointless bureaucracy. We only care that you achieve inspiring results and are a joy to work with. This means you must be highly energetic, enthusiastic, and resourceful—no problem is too big or too small for you to tackle. You will enjoy both responsibility and autonomy in your work.
WORKING AT ARTSY
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
Art x Science: We believe in uniting empathy with logic, emotion with data, and intuition with research in everything we do. Whether in business strategy or design, culture or code, we seek the magic that happens when the often separate worlds of art and science come together.
People are Paramount: We spend extraordinary energy finding the best person for a job—and once found, we give them the trust and autonomy to be CEO of their role. We avoid pointless bureaucracy and prefer to empower people with information rather than limit them with process.
Quality Worthy of Art: We aim to create an experience worthy of all the world’s art and so hold ourselves to the highest standards in all our work. We believe that the best long term quality comes from rapid shipping, iterating, and learning as we go.
Positive Energy: We know positivity and optimism benefit our work, and we harness positive energy as a vehicle towards greater awareness, growth, and collaboration. We believe in cultivating a positive relationship to art as opposed to one based on exclusivity or scarcity.
Openness: We believe in being open with each other and the world—whether in open-sourcing our code, sharing feedback, or building a diverse and inclusive work culture. We believe in bringing our full selves to work and manifesting an open world where everyone has access to art.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.