Senior Back End Engineer
Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, with more than 1,000,000 works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 of the world’s leading galleries, auction houses, art fairs, and institutions across 190 countries. We are currently seeking a Senior Back-end Engineer to be responsible for developing and supporting the services that power our marketplace.
As Senior Back-end Engineer, you will be responsible for architecting and scaling our fleet of microservices to best enable speedy and quality delivery of software. One day you might be debugging a performance problem that’s affecting our users, and another thinking about how to best architect an API considering our iOS and desktop users. With over a dozen systems in production in our self-hosted Kubernetes cluster, Artsy engineers work with a diverse array of languages and technologies (including GraphQL, Ruby, Node.js, Python, and Elixir), making it possible to find many growth paths.
At Artsy, engineers work closely with our Product and Design teams to create a world-class user experience that allows our growing community to discover, buy, and enjoy art. You’ll be joining an engineering team that is building the world's largest marketplace for art. Our team believes in open source by default, invests in psychological safety, and constantly improving our tools and processes. The Artsy engineering team is centered around learning, knowledge sharing, in addition to both personal and team development.
- APIs: You will build and maintain our APIs built in GraphQL, Ruby, Node.js, Typescript and Python to withstand 10x the traffic, data, and scale.
- Databases: You will ensure that our MongoDB, PostgreSQL and Elasticsearch databases are optimized for performance and maintain data integrity.
- Message brokers: You will make informed decisions about how services should best communicate over RabbitMQ and other asynchronous queuing systems (like Sidekiq).
- Systems Engineering: You will help maintain the health and reliability of our backend services by participating in administering our self-hosted Kubernetes on AWS infrastructure.
- Delivery Tooling: You will contribute to our tech infrastructure by improving our continuous deployment (CI/CD) pipeline and incorporating instrumentation.
- Scale Your Impact: You will de-silo engineers and leverage your impact by sharing what you have learned via team presentations, blog posts, pair programming, and other avenues.
- Cross-functional Leadership : You will coordinate with engineers and product managers across teams to lead initiatives that improve our shared infrastructure.
Approximately 5 years of professional experience with some or all of the following:
- You care deeply about building APIs and have significant experience architecting distributed systems.
- You have experience and a strong philosophy about when and how to scale systems and architecture.
- You are familiar with service orchestration and can work with Kubernetes and Chef to manage deployments
- You can design and operate relational databases, optimize queries for performance, maintain data integrity and comfortable working with non-relational databases
- You have written and want to continue to write effective automated tests to continuously verify the correctness of systems, particularly at system boundaries.
- You have fantastic communication skills and are excited to communicate with local and distributed colleagues physically and digitally, in real-time and asynchronously.
- You are able to work independently to drive cross-team initiatives and create opportunities to promote best-practices among an engineering team.
This position is full-time and starts immediately. To apply, please submit your resumé and a cover letter here. When you apply, you will be directed to a third party site.
Artsy empowers a global audience to learn about, discover, and collect art. Our mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world.
We partner with leading museums, international galleries, auction houses, and art fairs to create the world’s largest marketplace for art, transforming one of the last industries to fully embrace technology by creating a more accessible and connected digital landscape for art consumption.
Artsy is a company with a culture that naturally empowers its employees to do their best and most creative work. We are working to expand access to the art world, deepen passion and engagement with art and those who create it, and impact culture on a global scale. At Artsy, we envision a future where everyone is moved by art everyday.
At Artsy there are no specific work hours or policies, no pointless bureaucracy. We only care that you achieve inspiring results and are a joy to work with. This means you must be highly energetic, enthusiastic, and resourceful—no problem is too big or too small for you to tackle. You will enjoy both responsibility and autonomy in your work.
WORKING AT ARTSY
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
Art x Science: We believe in uniting empathy with logic, emotion with data, and intuition with research in everything we do. Whether in business strategy or design, culture or code, we seek the magic that happens when the often separate worlds of art and science come together.
People are Paramount: We spend extraordinary energy finding the best person for a job—and once found, we give them the trust and autonomy to be CEO of their role. We avoid pointless bureaucracy and prefer to empower people with information rather than limit them with process.
Quality Worthy of Art: We aim to create an experience worthy of all the world’s art and so hold ourselves to the highest standards in all our work. We believe that the best long term quality comes from rapid shipping, iterating, and learning as we go.
Positive Energy: We know positivity and optimism benefit our work, and we harness positive energy as a vehicle towards greater awareness, growth, and collaboration. We believe in cultivating a positive relationship to art as opposed to one based on exclusivity or scarcity.
Openness: We believe in being open with each other and the world—whether in open-sourcing our code, sharing feedback, or building a diverse and inclusive work culture. We believe in bringing our full selves to work and manifesting an open world where everyone has access to art.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.