Senior Front End Engineer (iOS)
We are looking for an experienced front-end engineer to work on Artsy’s iOS applications. You’ll be responsible for driving holistic improvements to our iOS user experience and will directly contribute to helping Artsy achieve our mission and vision of expanding the art market to support more artists and art in the world.
At Artsy, engineers work closely with our Product and Design teams to create a world-class user experience that allows our growing community to discover, buy, and enjoy art. You’ll be joining an engineering team that is building the world's largest marketplace for art. Our team believes in open source by default, invests in psychological safety, and constantly improving our tools and processes. The Artsy engineering team is centered around learning, knowledge sharing, in addition to both personal and team development.
As we continue to work on challenges that will redefine the way the art industry operates, building a world-class mobile and iOS experience will be key to our growth strategy. Our app is built using React Native, on top of native code in Objective-C and Swift. This position will have one foot in both the React Native and iOS native worlds, working across borders to help Artsy engineers deliver amazing user experiences. Across our front-end teams, we employ cutting-edge technologies such as TypeScript, GraphQL, React/React Native, Relay, Storybooks, Yarn, Jest, and Visual Studio Code. Read more about our many services and our stack and history of our front-end.
- Collaborate with product managers and designers to build and maintain a world-class, rich iOS experience.
- Drive impact for iOS product direction and features, and enable broader team app contributions through improved internal tools and processes
- Contribute to and enable frequent releases by improving our testing and deployment tools.
- Enhance our application’s performance and reliability through analytics and data-informed decisions.
- Leverage your impact by sharing what you have learned via Lunch & Learns, blog posts, pair programming, mentoring, and other avenues.
- Own your dependencies by interfacing with open source community to solve problems when necessary.
- Approximately 5 years of professional experience in front-end or mobile application development with some or all of the following;
- You've built and maintained iOS apps with significant audiences, and have evolved them over multiple releases.
- Extensive experience with React Native, Objective-C (or Swift) — you have shipped an app to production, and maintained post-launch.
- Experience in testing frameworks for both Native and Web-based frameworks.
- Familiarity with React, Relay and Redux.
- Experience working with GraphQL APIs, and can design/suggest new query and mutations.
- You can work both independently and collaboratively within a dynamic engineering org to initiate and promote best-practices across the team.
- Our engineering principles resonate with you.
- You’re passionate about working with teammates and sharing your work (via show & tell, internal demos, Lunch and Learns, blog posts). You leverage your skills to help teammates.
This position is full-time and starts immediately. To apply, please submit your resumé and a cover letter here. When you apply, you will be directed to a third party site.
Artsy empowers a global audience to learn about, discover, and collect art. Our mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world.
We partner with leading museums, international galleries, auction houses, and art fairs to create the world’s largest marketplace for art, transforming one of the last industries to fully embrace technology by creating a more accessible and connected digital landscape for art consumption.
Artsy is a company with a culture that naturally empowers its employees to do their best and most creative work. We are working to expand access to the art world, deepen passion and engagement with art and those who create it, and impact culture on a global scale. At Artsy, we envision a future where everyone is moved by art everyday.
At Artsy there are no specific work hours or policies, no pointless bureaucracy. We only care that you achieve inspiring results and are a joy to work with. This means you must be highly energetic, enthusiastic, and resourceful—no problem is too big or too small for you to tackle. You will enjoy both responsibility and autonomy in your work.
WORKING AT ARTSY
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
Art x Science: We believe in uniting empathy with logic, emotion with data, and intuition with research in everything we do. Whether in business strategy or design, culture or code, we seek the magic that happens when the often separate worlds of art and science come together.
People are Paramount: We spend extraordinary energy finding the best person for a job—and once found, we give them the trust and autonomy to be CEO of their role. We avoid pointless bureaucracy and prefer to empower people with information rather than limit them with process.
Quality Worthy of Art: We aim to create an experience worthy of all the world’s art and so hold ourselves to the highest standards in all our work. We believe that the best long term quality comes from rapid shipping, iterating, and learning as we go.
Positive Energy: We know positivity and optimism benefit our work, and we harness positive energy as a vehicle towards greater awareness, growth, and collaboration. We believe in cultivating a positive relationship to art as opposed to one based on exclusivity or scarcity.
Openness: We believe in being open with each other and the world—whether in open-sourcing our code, sharing feedback, or building a diverse and inclusive work culture. We believe in bringing our full selves to work and manifesting an open world where everyone has access to art.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.