Senior Product Designer
We are seeking a strategic, passionate Senior Product Designer to empower our gallery and cultural institution partners to thrive on Artsy. You'll build experiences that unite galleries with buyers, strengthen their business through data insights, champion their artists, and evolve the way people experience galleries online.
You will collaborate closely with Product, Data, and Engineering on our Sell Team to research, develop insights, ship iteratively, and shape the Sell Team’s roadmap.
Artsy’s design team crafts thoughtful experiences that expand the understanding of art across time and cultures. We are a collaborative team of designers that are driven by learning, strong design fundamentals, strategic thinking informed by research, and delivering meaningful value. We strive to create an environment where each elevates the work of one another.
Our Senior Product Designers bring deep, comprehensive experience to the team, and will teach others through their work. You will be afforded a supportive environment to deliver quality, outcome-oriented solutions and with quick shipping loops to learn from.
- Product thinking – You will play an active role as the design leader on a cross-functional product team and will lead the vision for the user experience. You will be involved in defining product strategy, conduct research, and will develop a sense for Artsy's technology stack to create impactful, performant solutions. You’ll develop and communicate a clear point-of-view, and align your product vision with the larger company goals.
- Visual design –You will contribute to the evolution of our design system, and visual language of our brand. Intentional visual hierarchy, exceptional attention to typographic detail, and scalable solutions are expected.
- User experience – You will be mindful and deliberate when designing experiences, from the overarching user flow to refining small details in UI. You will ensure a cohesive experience across Artsy. You will refine, test, and iterate until solutions are elegant in usability and efficient in achieving outcomes.
- Research-informed – Using qualitative and quantitative data, you’ll identify important product insights. Throughout the design process, you’ll look for and lead opportunities to collect feedback to make informed choices. What you learn from your research, you’ll document and share back with the organization broadly, contributing to our shared knowledge base about our customers.
- Process – You’ll facilitate collaboration by inviting input and creating visibility into your processes and work. You will elevate other designers by teaching through your processes, and will seek opportunities to evolve the way we work together. You have a deep and well-developed understanding of product development and design processes, and have cultivated a point of view on how to achieve success.
- Collaboration – With a senior role in the Product organization, you will be an exemplary cross-functional collaborator. You will develop an understanding about the work of other disciplines, collaborators, and seek opportunities to strengthen relationships between Design and other teams in at Artsy.
- Communication – You will communicate early and often throughout your projects, both verbally and in writing. You’ll regularly listen to feedback from customers, partners, and collaborators and share your findings company wide. You’ll communicate complex ideas and solutions in a way that enables productive progress and exceptional design output. When necessary, you’ll direct and lead group conversations, presentations, and product reviews.
- Your team collaboration skills are strong and empathetic. You are mindful of others needs when collaborating, actively listen and engage. You can align groups to build empathy and focus on common goals.
- You have developed a deep understanding of technology stacks you have designed for. You have experience in learning to design for different development languages, and can optimize for the best user experience within technical constraints.
- You thrive in an environment with short feedback loops. You share your work early and often, are open to ideas while maintaining focus on your goal.
- You’ve shipped products, observed how people used them, and iterated toward improvement. You have a history of shipping work that provided value to customers.
- You have a record of making rational, strategic design decisions that balance the needs of the user, the business, and the brand.
- You have solid design fundamentals (typography, composition) and strong visual design sensibility.
- You have collaborated with designers and engineers on a shared design system, have a command of the processes involved to scale a system successfully.
- You have defined and shaped roadmaps with product managers, oriented by strategic decision making and a vision for the user experience.
- You are a clear, deliberate communicator.
- You are curious and compelled by the complex business of art, notably through the lens of galleries.
- You are equally invested in crafting visual and user experience design.
- You are curious and passionate about developing a deep understanding about users. You are intentional about the behaviors you are shaping through the products you build.
Pluses, But Not Required
- You have experience with a global marketplace and designing for cultural nuance.
- You have experience with building tools for the "supply" provider in 2-sided marketplaces.
- You have experience with products that elevate creative work.
The position is full-time and starts immediately. To apply, please submit your resumé, cover letter, and a link to your design portfolio here. When you apply, you will be directed to a third party site.
Artsy empowers a global audience to learn about, discover, and collect art. Our mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world.
We partner with leading museums, international galleries, auction houses, and art fairs to create the world’s largest marketplace for art, transforming one of the last industries to fully embrace technology by creating a more accessible and connected digital landscape for art consumption.
Artsy is a company with a culture that naturally empowers its employees to do their best and most creative work. We are working to expand access to the art world, deepen passion and engagement with art and those who create it, and impact culture on a global scale. At Artsy, we envision a future where everyone is moved by art everyday.
At Artsy there are no specific work hours or policies, no pointless bureaucracy. We only care that you achieve inspiring results and are a joy to work with. This means you must be highly energetic, enthusiastic, and resourceful—no problem is too big or too small for you to tackle. You will enjoy both responsibility and autonomy in your work.
WORKING AT ARTSY
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
Art x Science: We believe in uniting empathy with logic, emotion with data, and intuition with research in everything we do. Whether in business strategy or design, culture or code, we seek the magic that happens when the often separate worlds of art and science come together.
People are Paramount: We spend extraordinary energy finding the best person for a job—and once found, we give them the trust and autonomy to be CEO of their role. We avoid pointless bureaucracy and prefer to empower people with information rather than limit them with process.
Quality Worthy of Art: We aim to create an experience worthy of all the world’s art and so hold ourselves to the highest standards in all our work. We believe that the best long term quality comes from rapid shipping, iterating, and learning as we go.
Positive Energy: We know positivity and optimism benefit our work, and we harness positive energy as a vehicle towards greater awareness, growth, and collaboration. We believe in cultivating a positive relationship to art as opposed to one based on exclusivity or scarcity.
Openness: We believe in being open with each other and the world—whether in open-sourcing our code, sharing feedback, or building a diverse and inclusive work culture. We believe in bringing our full selves to work and manifesting an open world where everyone has access to art.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.