Software Engineer II
Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, offering more than 1 million works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 leading galleries, fairs, auction houses, and institutions across 190 countries.
Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, with more than 1,000,000 works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 of the world’s leading galleries, auction houses, art fairs, and institutions across 190 countries.
We’re looking for a Software Engineer, either frontend or backend focused, to join our Core Marketplace group. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about beautiful code and inspiring products, and who wants to build something that our users – who are equally passionate about art – love, trust, and rely on. Your work will help Artsy’s mission to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world.
Artsy’s Core Marketplace group is responsible for the marketplace experience of both our partners and our collectors. We give partners the knowledge and tools to succeed on Artsy’s platform. We provide collectors with a seamless artwork evaluation and negotiation experience, leading to a smooth checkout for everyone around the world.
At Artsy, Engineers work closely with our Product, Data, and Design teams to create a world-class user experience that allows our growing community to discover, buy, and enjoy art. You’ll be joining an engineering team that is building the world's largest marketplace for art. Our team believes in open source by default, invests in psychological safety, and in constantly improving our tools and processes. The Artsy Engineering team is centered around learning and knowledge sharing, in addition to both personal and team development.
What You’ll Do:
- Build the applications used by the collectors, galleries, and auction houses that make up the world’s largest online art marketplace.
- Build user experiences with our frontend stack, which includes React, React Native, TypeScript, Relay and Jest.
- Develop end-to-end features with our backend stack, which includes Ruby on Rails, RSpec, Node.js, GraphQL, Postgres and MongoDB.
- Write clean, testable, readable and maintainable code that scales and performs.
- Advocate for best practices and coding standards.
- Multiply your impact by sharing what you have learned via team presentations, blog posts, pair programming, and other avenues.
- Own your dependencies by interfacing with the open source community to solve problems when necessary.
Who You Are:
We welcome you to apply regardless of “checking all the boxes” below, and are excited to hear what you can bring to the team.
- You are currently authorized to live and work in the USA.
- This role will be based in NYC or US Remote.
- You bring approx 2-4 years of professional experience in software engineering
- Experience building responsive and modern user interfaces, preferably with TypeScript and React.
- Experience building and maintaining web services with either a GraphQL or RESTful API, preferably with Ruby on Rails and/or Node.js.
- Experience querying and modifying a variety of databases, including Postgres, MongoDB, and Elasticsearch.
- Displays an understanding of large systems in which you played an integral role, and can discuss tradeoffs and decisions made in the development of those systems.
- Can work both independently and collaboratively within a dynamic engineering org to initiate and promote best practices across the team.
- Experience participating in several open-source projects and maybe having maintained a few.
Additionally, you should:
- Understand and uphold our key value of “impact over perfection”
- Hold strong opinions, loosely held: you will change our team, and our team will change you.
- Feel strong resonance with our engineering principles.
This position starts immediately. To apply, please submit your resumé and a cover letter here. When you apply, you will be directed to a third party site.
ARTSY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE VALUE A DIVERSE WORKFORCE AND AN INCLUSIVE CULTURE. WE ENCOURAGE APPLICATIONS FROM ALL QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, GENDER, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY OR EXPRESSION, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, MARITAL STATUS, DISABILITY, AND VETERAN STATUS.
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
For the Love of Art: We have relentless curiosity, empathy, and passion for collectors, artists, and the art market. We are here to make the art world more fair and welcoming.
Own Our Outcomes: We are all individual owners of Artsy’s shared success. We are resourceful and resilient, and to get the job done, we each take responsibility for our outcomes.
Lead with Openness: We trust in our teammates. We seek diverse perspectives, communicate authentically, and act with integrity. A more open art world starts with us.
Transform Together: Our mission asks us to challenge the status quo. We embrace feedback, learning, and change so that we can transform our industry, our company, and ourselves.
Impact Over Perfection: Using both art and science, we debate and decide swiftly and iterate on our plans as we learn. To make the biggest impact, we prioritize speed and clarity of action over perfection.