Staff Mobile Engineer (React Native)
Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, offering more than 1 million works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 leading galleries, fairs, auction houses, and institutions across 190 countries.
We are looking for an experienced Lead Mobile Engineer to join our team at Artsy, who will help set the direction for our mobile technical strategy and drive its implementation, with a proven track record building complex and impactful large scale React Native applications.
Artsy’s world class Engineering team develops innovative solutions to serve all our partners across the art world (galleries, auction houses, fairs) and is focused on making art buying a joyful and safe experience for all collectors. As a Staff Engineer, you will mentor and inspire the team as you drive the continuous delivery of amazing user experiences, directly impacting Arsty’s success in becoming mobile first and putting art in the hands of a broader audience.
Across our front-end teams, we employ technologies such as TypeScript, GraphQL, React/React Native, Relay, Storybooks, Yarn, Jest, and Visual Studio Code. Artsy has a tradition of adopting cutting edge technologies where appropriate, and proactively helping to push them to stability as we leverage them within our stack; you can find the fingerprints of Artsy engineers and alumni on all these tools.
The ideal candidate is someone who has played a central role in the development of products over multiple releases and shipped software as an architect and thought leader within a very strong team. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about beautiful code and inspiring products, and who wants to build something that our users – who are equally passionate about art – love, trust, and rely on.
What You'll Do:
- Expand our world class Artsy mobile app
- Collaborate with designers to build a joyful UX
- Write clean, testable, readable and maintainable code that scales and performs.
- Engage with the React Native community to solicit and share knowledge.
- Contribute to and enable frequent releases by improving our testing and deployment tools.
- Enhance our application’s performance and reliability through analytics and data-informed decisions.
- Advocate for best practices and coding standards.
- Multiply your impact by sharing what you have learned via team presentations, blog posts, pair programming, and other avenues.
- Own your dependencies by interfacing with the open source community to solve problems when necessary.
Who You Are:
We welcome you to apply regardless of “checking all the boxes” below, and are excited to hear what you can bring to the team.
- 10+ years of professional experience
- Significant experience mentoring and supporting other team members. You are a technical expert and are comfortable taking the lead of multiple projects.
- Building and maintaining mobile apps with significant audiences, and evolving them over multiple releases.
- Extensive experience with React Native and either Objective-C/Swift or Java/Kotlin.
- Testing frameworks for both Native and Web-based frameworks.
- Working with GraphQL APIs, and preferably Relay.
- Being an integral part of a development team; engaging in decision-making and tradeoff evaluation.
- Participating in several open-source projects and maybe having maintained a few.
- Understand and uphold our key value of “impact over perfection”
- Hold strong opinions, loosely held: you will change our team, and our team will change you.
- Feel strong resonance with our engineering principles.
What We Offer:
- Opportunity to reimagine the art industry while working with a talented, diverse, international team.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Flexible time off: we empower Artsy employees to take time off based on their desires and needs that matter most to them
- We are a distributed-first company where employees have the flexibility to work from home. Offices are available for employees in New York, London, and Berlin. (In-person recommendations, and location will vary by role)
- Comprehensive healthcare & benefit options, including: medical, dental, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, Employee Assistance Program featuring free mental health support, 401k, commuter benefits, flexible spending accounts (FSA), health savings accounts (HSA), financial wellness support & resources, and more
- Professional development, including: mentoring, lunch & learns, regular training, 1:1 management, and an open feedback culture
- Engaging opportunities and internal programming globally, to foster new relationships and build upon our collaborative community. Including: happy hours, holiday parties, global "All Hands" meetings, "Artsy Salon" (a yearly exhibition of our team's creativity), attendance to art world events, and more
- We have a transparent career ladder and support all team members with their aspirations and long-term goals.
- Focus on open source - you can read more on GitHub
- Opportunities to contribute to our podcast Artsy Engineering Radio, and conference sponsorship.
This is a full-time position based in Berlin. To apply, please submit your resumé and a cover letter here.When you apply, you will be directed to a third party site.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.
About Artsy Engineering:
Artsy's engineering principles are open source. We encourage knowledge building and sharing within the larger tech community through open source software, blog posts, and other free resources. Artsy would rather proudly discover (and improve) an existing tool than build it ourselves from scratch. Through our work, we try to create more value than we capture. That means that when we learn something new, we try to share that knowledge through blog posts and open source documentation. A successful candidate will bring their own unique perspective to help us achieve this mission.
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
For the Love of Art: We have relentless curiosity, empathy, and passion for collectors, artists, and the art market. We are here to make the art world more fair and welcoming.
Own Our Outcomes: We are all individual owners of Artsy’s shared success. We are resourceful and resilient, and to get the job done, we each take responsibility for our outcomes.
Lead with Openness: We trust in our teammates. We seek diverse perspectives, communicate authentically, and act with integrity. A more open art world starts with us.
Transform Together: Our mission asks us to challenge the status quo. We embrace feedback, learning, and change so that we can transform our industry, our company, and ourselves.
Impact Over Perfection: Using both art and science, we debate and decide swiftly and iterate on our plans as we learn. To make the biggest impact, we prioritize speed and clarity of action over perfection.