WeChat Operations Manager
Artsy is seeking an experienced leader to direct our operations in China. Focused initially on optimizing and scaling our WeChat channel (Artsy官方), which launched in March 2018, this role will play an integral role in the development and execution of Artsy’s regional strategy for expansion primarily in China, and, more generally, in the APAC region.
Within Artsy’s mission to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world, Artsy’s regional expansion in APAC and launch of Artsy官方 on WeChat represents a long term investment to further support the art infrastructure in China, by increasing access to Artsy’s suite of enterprise and consumer services—as well as to Artsy Editorial’s industry leading journalism, which strives to make art more accessible, celebrate creativity, and unpack the contemporary visual landscape in a timely, engaging, and educational manner.
The WeChat Operations Manager is an experienced and empathetic people manager and a savvy strategist who understands the intricacies of building and leveraging audiences on WeChat and brand development in China. They are an effortless collaborator and communicator accustomed to working with a global and diverse team (frequent collaborators include senior leaders in New York and Hong Kong as well as a network of full-time and part-time team members located in Shanghai and Beijing). They are adept at empowering their people but also not afraid to roll up their sleeves in the early days, as the core administrator for Artsy's WeChat channel and Shanghai footprint.
- Team management: Manage WeChat operations and Artsy team in mainland China, act as one cornerstone of Artsy's culture in mainland China, be the main WeChat account registration contact and key liaison with Tencent as the administrator of the account, and liaise with key stakeholders at HQ on same.
- WeChat content management: Project manage Artsy's Wechat content calendar, ensuring that all pieces of content are on track to meet internal and external deadlines. Liaise with Chinese-language freelance writers and editors to ensure team is delivering “quality worthy of art” content and developing strategies to deliver industry-leading engagement and follower growth in line with business goals. Responsible for replying to direct messages submitted by users and to have basic knowledge about article layout so as to contribute to evolution of article designs
- Analytics: Develop best practices for reporting and analytics, and deliver reports to local teams and HQ on a weekly and monthly basis. Leverage deep knowledge of Chinese (luxury and) tech space to advise on channel development (including but not limited to strategy for KOL engagement).
- General support: Provide strategic leadership and execution support of long term WeChat development plans, including but not limited to mini-programs or other in-app developments, and provide execution support of events in the region.
- 5+ years of experience in an operations role strategizing and executing brand content, ideally at a fast-growing startup, luxury brand, or technology company
- 2+ years of experience managing and overseeing execution of a branded WeChat channel.
- Adept at motivating your team to achieve their goals
- An expert communicator who is interested in understanding the needs of a team and working across offices and time zones
- Comfortable managing communication and outreach across various internal and external (Tencent for example) stakeholders
- Deep understanding of Artsy brand and mission—and ability to contribute to regional strategies that support that mission
- Systems-based thinker with proven ability to craft process that empowers rather than over-burdens team
- Passion for art essential
- Metrics-driven and results-oriented
- Native Chinese speaker with strong written and verbal communication skills in both Chinese and English
- Professional experience in the art market or art world a plus, but not a must
This position is a full-time position and starts immediately in Shanghai. To apply, please submit your resumé, and a cover letter (including the work exercise below) here.
Please outline in your cover letter a plan for your first 90 days in the role. This plan should comprise the following: 1. Recurring meetings and organizational structures to improve efficiency and lay the framework for further growth; 2. Operational systems to implement or potential improvements to make on existing systems; 3. Initiatives you would undertake to grow Artsy's WeChat Follower base, for each initiative you propose, please outline the rationale and strategy, the ideal budget required for said initiative, and the expected return.
When you apply, you will be directed to a third party site.
Artsy empowers a global audience to learn about, discover, and collect art. Our mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world.
We partner with leading museums, international galleries, auction houses, and art fairs to create the world’s largest marketplace for art, transforming one of the last industries to fully embrace technology by creating a more accessible and connected digital landscape for art consumption.
Artsy is a company with a culture that naturally empowers its employees to do their best and most creative work. We are working to expand access to the art world, deepen passion and engagement with art and those who create it, and impact culture on a global scale. At Artsy, we envision a future where everyone is moved by art everyday.
At Artsy there are no specific work hours or policies, no pointless bureaucracy. We only care that you achieve inspiring results and are a joy to work with. This means you must be highly energetic, enthusiastic, and resourceful—no problem is too big or too small for you to tackle. You will enjoy both responsibility and autonomy in your work.
WORKING AT ARTSY
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
Art x Science: We believe in uniting empathy with logic, emotion with data, and intuition with research in everything we do. Whether in business strategy or design, culture or code, we seek the magic that happens when the often separate worlds of art and science come together.
People are Paramount: We spend extraordinary energy finding the best person for a job—and once found, we give them the trust and autonomy to be CEO of their role. We avoid pointless bureaucracy and prefer to empower people with information rather than limit them with process.
Quality Worthy of Art: We aim to create an experience worthy of all the world’s art and so hold ourselves to the highest standards in all our work. We believe that the best long term quality comes from rapid shipping, iterating, and learning as we go.
Positive Energy: We know positivity and optimism benefit our work, and we harness positive energy as a vehicle towards greater awareness, growth, and collaboration. We believe in cultivating a positive relationship to art as opposed to one based on exclusivity or scarcity.
Openness: We believe in being open with each other and the world—whether in open-sourcing our code, sharing feedback, or building a diverse and inclusive work culture. We believe in bringing our full selves to work and manifesting an open world where everyone has access to art.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.