History of the Austrian Pavilion

Austrian Pavilion at the 55th Venice Biennale
May 21, 2013 3:08PM
The Austrian Pavilion was originally drafted by architects Josef Hoffmann and Robert Kramreiter and officially inaugurated on May 12, 1934.
Following the “Anschluss“ with Germany in 1938, the pavilion was offered for sale and used temporarily as a storage space for Cinecitta film productions while Austrian artists exhibited in the German Pavilion. Only in 1948, with the resumption of the Biennale following the Second World War, did Austria return to its own national pavilion.

Photographs by Gabriele Basilico, courtesy of Pedro Kramreiter, Vienna.

Austrian Pavilion at the 55th Venice Biennale
Get the Artsy app
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
Jenna Gribbon, Luncheon on the grass, a recurring dream, 2020. Jenna Gribbon, April studio, parting glance, 2021. Jenna Gribbon, Silver Tongue, 2019