A Few of My Favorite Pieces from Frieze New York 2013
This was my first Frieze! After immediately seeing that they turned Randall's Island into an art fair-meets-nature getaway (with super delicious food options; the rumors were true), I realized that I didn't want it to end...until I felt trapped and thought it might never actually end! The scale of the fair speaks to the ambition of its organizers, which I think everyone ultimately appreciated. All in all, I felt delightfully overwhelmed by what I saw, and it pained me to leave.
The last fair I went to before Frieze was Paris Photo in Los Angeles, which was a smaller, more focused, and digestible experience. Frieze deserves a lot of time and energy, obviously, and in an ideal world, I would have devoted an entire day to just the Sculpture Park. I also checked out NADA and Pulse this weekend, but there's just a certain magic that this English transplant possesses. That being said, Frieze seems like it will belong anywhere it decides to go.
These are some of my favorite pieces from Frieze NY this year.
1. Unknown by Daniel Firman (2013) at Galerie Perrotin, C43
2. Golden Lips by Marina Abramovic (2009) at Sean Kelly Gallery, B46
3. Untitled 23, 8:30 AM–12 PM, July 15, 2012 by Julia Dalt (2012) at Harris Lieberman Gallery, A9
4. Untitled (video camera) by Tom Friedman (2012) at Luhring Augustine, B50
5. Soundsuit by Nick Cave (2011) at Jack Shainman, C9
6. Amgydalas by Martha Friedman (2013) at the Sculpture Garden from Wallspace, C8
7. a few golden moments by Tom Burr (2011) at the Sculpture Garden from Bortolami, B14
8. Heap by Jenny Holzer (2012) at Cheim & Read, C38
9. Ann Lee by Tino Sehgal (2011) at Marian Goodman, C7 (found a good video of it here!)