Exhibitions of Note/ A Passion for Jean Prouvé
The Pinacoteca Agnelli in Turin welcomed a new temporary addition this weekend in the form of a Jean Prouvé house that landed on the roof of the foundation, facing the race track and overlooking the city. The Maison Métropole is part of an exhibition presented by Galerie Patrick Seguin – A Passion for Jean Prouvé.
Patrick and Laurence Seguin are presenting for the first time a number of works from their private collection – around 40 pieces by Jean Prouvé, most of which are prototypes or extremely rare.
The Seguins began to take interest in Prouvé’s work after they discovered his furniture designs in the late 1980s. Eventually they took notice of his architectural designs, as Prouvé applied the same approach to both furniture and architecture.
Inside the gallery at Pinacoteca Agnelli the exhibition features an armchair designed for the University of Nancy dormitory in 1932, an armchair created for the University of Antony in 1954 and furniture produced for Africa.
The Maison Métropole is mounted for the first time on the Lignotto track, the former test racetrack for Fiat. In 1949 the aluminum house won a Ministry of Education in France for “mass-producible rural school with classroom and teacher accommodation.” It is considered a masterpiece of nomadic housing, of which only two exist. The house can be constructed in three consecutive days using four people.
Fiat manufactured and assembled its vehicles below, beginning on the ground floor, and eventually emerged on the rooftop for the test track. After almost 60 years of manufacturing and testing, the Lignotto closed in 1982. Currently Prouvé’s house rests on the track.
The Lignotto now houses the Pinacoteca Agnelli, a space designed by Renzo Piano, to display 25 masterpieces from the collection of Giovanni and Marella Agnelli of the Fiat family.
The exhibition runs until September 8th 2013.
For Design Miami/ Basel 2013, Galerie Patrick Seguin will erect the Maison des Jours Meilleurs, a house designed by Prouvé in 1954. Measuring 57 square meters with two bedrooms and a living room, the house was an answer to clergyman Abbe Pierre’s plea for emergency housing for homeless people during the harsh winter of that year.