History of the Dutch Pavilion
The Netherlands has been almost continuously represented at the Venice Biennale since its origin in 1895. In the beginning, the Dutch exhibited in the general exhibition hall; however in 1913 the Netherlands took over the Swedish pavilion and used this until 1952. In 1953 the architect Gerrit Rietveld was commissioned by the Dutch government to design a new and permanent pavilion in the Giardini di Castello. To this day, this pavilion accommodates the Dutch entry at the Venice Biennale.
Photo: Dutch pavilion by Jan Versnel, courtesy of Stichting Rietveldpaviljoen Venetië.