In 1929, Germany commissioned one of the greatest architects of the 20th century,
, to represent the country at the International Exposition in Barcelona by building a pavilion. He designed a minimalist masterpiece, defined by pronounced angles and airy spaces, and made of such sumptuous materials as antique marble, travertine, and tinted and translucent glass. A year later, the pavilion, which was meant to be temporary, was torn down as planned. More than half a century went by. In the early ’80s, a group of Spanish architects began to resurrect the pavilion, working from archival photographs, architectural plans, and contemporary accounts. In 1986, their reconstruction complete, the building was slated for re-opening.