About Investec Cape Town Art Fair 2018
Courtesy Investec Cape Town Art Fair
From the 16th – 18th of February 2018, the 6th edition of Cape Town Art Fair (CTAF) will return to the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC). Positioned as the leading art fair in Africa, CTAF 2018 will include the foremost galleries from South Africa, the African continent, and abroad.
VISION & MISSION
- To showcase new trends in art emerging from Africa and its diaspora
- To introduce collectors to an array of new artists, and facilitate relationships between galleries, collectors, and institutions
- To adapt the best international practices to build a sustainable economic platform for the art market
- To encourage innovation in art collection and production.
- To educate the public and motivate greater participation in the arts
- To further develop skills and professionalism within the arts sector
The allure of Cape Town Art Fair is its content and its placement on the African continent. With the advent of its 6th edition, the market has proven that art fairs are a sustainable economic model for trade in contemporary art.The city's geography is an integral part of Cape Town Art Fair’s success. Cape Town is a vibrant cultural hub, attracting international collectors with the novelty of diverse, cutting edge art and a favourable exchange rate.
"With each year, the fair has gained considerable momentum that has generated respect and prestige for the city of Cape Town as a major contemporary art destination. This is an exciting moment for art, not just in South Africa but globally, as we seek to expand the impact and importance of Cape Town Art Fair."
–Tumelo Mosaka, Fair Curator
IMPACT ON THE ART INDUSTRY
- Brings together leading local and international galleries and collectors.
- Creates an economic platform for contemporary art which results in the growth of sales and participants within the South African art market.
- Encourages the sharing of knowledge and professionalism in South Africa's art industry.
- Creates a widely seen creative platform for the visual arts, which is accessible both internationally, regionally, and locally.
Cape Town boasts a vibrant arts scene, driven by top galleries on the African continent. Thanks to its dynamic and diverse cultural heritage and geographic beauty, the city is a compelling destination for both art world professionals and collectors alike.The enormous sales seen by Cape Town Art Fair's exhibitors in past editions suggests that a sustainable model for an art fair is not only viable but essential for the art market.Also integral to the Cape Town Art Fair is its curatorial component which contributes to the social and cultural economy for contemporary art in the region. The Fair showcases a diversity of work that represents the forefront of contemporary art from Africa to the world, and the world to Cape Town.
“By providing a platform to showcase works by both established and emerging Pan-African and diasporic artists and exposing these artists to new local and international audiences and collectors, Cape Town Art Fair has the ability to further a sustainable market for the arts on the continent.”
– Laura Vincenti, Fair Director, Cape Town Art Fair
Cape Town Art Fair is produced by Fiera Milano Exhibitions Africa (FMEA) of the Fiera Milano Group, one of the world’s leading events companies and the creators of the critically-acclaimed Italian art fair MIART. The Fiera Milano Group exhibition was started in 1920 in Milan and is now the leading exhibition group in Italy and one of the top players in the world. Fiera Milano is the only Italian trade fair listed on the stock exchange (since December 2002). Renowned experience in the trade fair business, excellence in professional exhibitions and services, as well as cutting edge facilities and its success in international conference management, all make Fiera Milano the ideal partner for promotion, development and internationalization.
“With CTAF being the most important art event on the African continent, we want to consolidate our strategy to grow more and more internationally, ensuring that Cape Town Art Fair is one of the premier appointments on the world contemporary art calendar"
– Maria Chieppa, Managing Director, Fiera Milano Exhibitions Africa