Catering to royalty and aristocracy, the Chelsea Porcelain Factory was the first important factory of its kind in 18th-century England. Founded by Charles Gouyn and Nicholas Sprimont in 1743, the factory was ultimately managed by Sprimont, whose background as a silversmith to inform his practice. Conveniently situated beside the Ranelagh pleasure gardens in London, the factory formed relationships with royal patrons, who granted access to a collection of Meissen porcelain that served as influence to many early figures. Over the years, the styles of Chelsea porcelain were modified continually, and have been separated into four periods, distinguished by identifying marks on the bottom of the wares. By the 1760s, the Chelsea Porcelain Factory had adopted a high Rococo style, heavily influenced by the French royal porcelain factory at Sèvres.