American, b. 1960
- Untitled [Abstract], 1997US$20,000–US$30,000
- I Am Rosicrucian, 2017US$15,000
- Lucky Charms, 1995Contact for Price
- William Blake's Glad Day, 1992Contact for Price
- Untitled, 2004Contact for Price
- Tiger, 1992Contact for Price
- Boiled Like a Lobster in Her Own Bathtub, 1995Bidding closed
- Lucky Charms, 1995Bidding closed
- William Blake's Glad Day, 1992Bidding closed
- Screen, 1996US$2,800
Richmond Burton, an abstract painter and printmaker, earned his BA in Architecture from Rice University. He lives and works in East Hampton.
Burton's colorful and harmonious paintings and graphic work are composites of his vocabulary of organic shapes that flow together in undulating patterns resulting in unique multi-colored abstractions. With a background in architecture, many of Burton's works stress visual order. Hard-edged geometrical forms dominated his early canvases, but later a more organic patterning emerged.
Burton boasts a lengthy list of solo exhibitions, showing at Cheim & Read and Matthew Marks in New York, Goss Gallery in Dallas, Hamiltons Gallery in London, among a great many others. In 1990 he had a solo show at the Berkeley Art Museum.
His work is held in the collections of the National Gallery of Art, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, MOMA, the Fogg Museum at Harvard University, the Art Institute of Chicago, the Dallas Museum of Art, the Hood Museum of Art at Dartmouth College, the Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art, Houston's Museum of Fine Arts, the New York Public Library, and the Columbus Museum of Art, among many others. It is also held in the important corporate collections at UBS, Microsoft, and others.
Because Burton remains active, his work is relatively scarce outside of galleries.
Washington Color Gallery
Works for sale
- Richmond BurtonUntitled, 2004Contact for Price
- Richmond BurtonLucky Charms, 1995Contact for Price
- Richmond BurtonWilliam Blake's Glad Day, 1992Contact for Price
- Richmond BurtonTiger, 1992Contact for Price
- Richmond BurtonI Am Rosicrucian, 2017US$15,000
- Richmond BurtonScreen, 1996US$2,800
- Richmond BurtonUntitled [Abstract], 1997US$20,000–US$30,000
- Richmond BurtonQuadruple Thought Plane #3, 1989Bidding closed
- Richmond BurtonFlesh Valentine, 1996Bidding closed
- Richmond BurtonLove of the Blue Flame, 1996Bidding closed
- Richmond BurtonBoiled Like a Lobster in Her Own Bathtub, 1995Bidding closed
- Richmond BurtonLucky Charms, 1995Bidding closed
- Richmond BurtonMonochrome Threshold, 1991Bidding closed
- Richmond BurtonUntitled, 1998Bidding closed
- Richmond BurtonUntitled, 1997Bidding closed
- Richmond BurtonThought Assembly Plane I & II, 1991Bidding closed
- Richmond BurtonUntitled, 1996Bidding closed
- Richmond BurtonUntitled, 2007Bidding closed
- Richmond BurtonSeven Rose Lanterns, 1992Bidding closed
- Richmond BurtonDrawing Studio and Studio 2, 1992Bidding closed