Sophie Taeuber-Arp and Jean Arp had independent artistic careers and practices, but similar aesthetic sensibilities. The two met during one of Arp’s exhibitions in Zurich in 1915; their personalities and work were mutually influential, and the two married in 1922. Arp recalls being impressed by Taeuber-Arp’s abstract geometric work, and she was his introduction to many non-objective Modernist artists. The two artists began their collaboration with a series of collages and embroidered pieces titled “Duo-Collages” (1916-18)—abstract works with compositions based on squares and geometry, employing color to create visual rhythms. In 1930, Taeuber-Arp and Arp built their house together near Paris, based on Taeuber-Arp’s designs; the structure today functions as the center of the Fondation Arp.