- Arch/Horizon Painting 3, 2013US$18,750
- Arch/Horizon, Black, White, Gray, 2015US$16,250
- Arch/Horizon Painting 4, 2015US$16,250
- Arch/Horizon Painting 5, 2016US$16,250
- Arch/Horizon Painting 6, 2016US$20,000
- Arch/Horizon Painting 2, 2013US$10,000
- Arch/Horizon - Double Hill 6 Painting, 2017US$5,000
- Arch Horizon - Triple Hill 2 Painting, 2017US$17,500
- Arch Horizon - Plain Painting, 2017US$10,000
- Arch Horizon - Double Hill 5 Painting, 2017US$22,500
Teo Gonzalez was born in 1964, in Quinto, a small town in Zaragoza, Spain. He grew up painting and drawing but never imagined he would become an artist himself since his access to the art world was limited. It was not until he was twenty years old that it became obvious to him that he was a painter.
Gonzalez developed his signature style at the end of 1990 - works consisting of thousands of drops of water, arranged into a grid pattern, inside of which a small amount of ink or enamel is dropped and left to dry. He describes his art as post-minimal.
He moved to Southern California in 1991, and within a month produced 3036 Gotas de Tinta, his first piece to enter the permanent collection of a museum when New York’s Museum of Modern Art acquired it in 2004. His first gallery show took place in 1996 in San Francisco, one year before he graduated Magna Cum Laude from California State University. He moved to Brooklyn, NY, in 1999 where he currently lives and works.
For almost thirty years, Teo Gonzalez has relied on the grid to serve as the foundation for all of his work, building layers of carefully plotted individual cells resulting in a topography of undulating patterns and glistening surfaces.
Although the use of the pictorial field and exploration of color in his work draws many comparisons to Abstract Expressionists such as Mark Rothko and Jackson Pollock, his grids and working process bring to mind Minimal artists such as Agnes Martin and Sol Lewitt.
Works for sale
- Teo GonzalezKing Ashurbanipal (study 3), 2010US$32,500
- Teo GonzalezJohnny (study 3), 2010US$32,500
- Teo GonzalezUntitled #641, 2012US$27,500
- Teo GonzalezUntitled #649, 2012US$25,000
- Teo GonzalezUntitled #652, 2012US$22,500
- Teo GonzalezUntitled #681, 2014US$17,500
- Teo GonzalezUntitled #348 (10,000 Black on Red Direct 100 Gauge), 2004US$17,500
- Teo GonzalezUntitled #469, 2007US$24,000
- Teo GonzalezUntitled 592, 2010US$25,000
- Teo GonzalezUntitled #673, 2014US$17,500
- Teo GonzalezUntitled #672, 2014US$17,000
- Teo GonzalezUntitled #685, 2015US$20,000
- Teo GonzalezUntitled #674, 2015US$27,500
- Teo GonzalezUntitled #686, 2015US$22,500
- Teo GonzalezUntitled #40, 1997US$15,000
- Teo Gonzalez10,000 Drops of Ink, 1995US$4,000
- Teo GonzalezDrawing #26 (1000 Drops of Ink), 2000US$3,200
- Teo GonzalezUntitled #140, 2000US$20,000
- Teo GonzalezDish and Cross, Greenpoint (2), 2011US$15,000
- Teo GonzalezArch Horizon - Double Dale Painting, 2017US$17,500