This colorful vase, whose shape seems to reverse and modify the traditional shape of a mosque lamp, is part of Arabia's "Fennia" range, which was produced from 1902 until the 1920s. Fennia was originally designed for the North American market upon the request of an American importer who may have seen examples of Karelian (Finnish) textiles at the Paris Exposition Universelle in 1900. Archives in the Arabia Museum suggest that architect Jac. Ahrenberg may be the designer of the decoration. The outlines of the decoration were created with copper-plate prints. Colors were then applied by hand. The first Fennia collection, exported in 1902, consisted of 16 different models. The selection grew and in 1914 there were about 30 models in use. Both the form and decor of this vase are an expression of the striving for a national language of art, a motive common to most Western nations at the turn of the 20th century. The swastika symbol was not associated with anti-Semitism at the time this vase was created.