Ed McGowin’s sculpture “Whitney” was re-titled after it was exhibited as “Squinches” in the 1968 Whitney Annual.
McGowin (b. 1938) began his career with a solo exhibition at the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. in 1963. He lived in Washington, D.C. and was associated with the Washington Color School. He showed at Martha Jackson Gallery in the 1960s and was included in the influential traveling exjibition "A Plastic Presence" at the Jewish Museum in 1969.
In 1975 Walter Hopps, newly appointed director of the Corcoran, created galleries with 20-foot ceilings, inviting Sam Gilliam, Ed McGowin, and Rockne Krebs to be part of a three-person show. In this exhibition McGowin created works that interacted with the space in dynamic ways.
McGowin is known for his vacuum formed plastic relief sculpture, but in 1970 he launched a conceptual project called “Name Change.” He legally changed his name twelve times, creating distinct bodies of work under these different personas. It was a way of disrupting expectations about the ways that artists and art history should develop.
Manufacturer: vacuum formed and painted polycarbonate
1968 Annual Sculpture Exhibition. Whitney Museum of American Art, New York. December 17, 1968 - February 9, 1969.
1968 Annual Sculpture Exhibition. Whitney Museum of American Art, New York. Whitney Museum of American Art, 1968. pg. 8.
About Ed McGowin
American, b. 1938, Hattiesburg, MS, United States, based in New York, NY, United States