Small in size but grand in concept, this three-tier vase is covered in a dripping sang de boeuf glaze with splashes of blue-green. The four looped handles that connect tiers two and three may be seen as references to architectural buttresses. In 1889, Chaplet won a gold medal at the Paris Universal Exposition for producing the elusive and highly prized sang de boeuf glaze. In the same year, he settled in Choisy-le-Roi and devoted himself to glaze research.
About Ernest Chaplet
Ernest Chaplet began his career in 1848 as an apprentice at Sèvres, where he studied decoration, design and ceramics techniques. In 1882, after more than 30 years in the employ of large ceramics firms, he opened an atelier where, assisted by Albert-Louis Dammouse and funded by Haviland & Company, he created simple stoneware forms ornamented with Japanese-inspired designs. Within three years, Chaplet quietly succeeded in producing a true sang de boeuf glaze, first on stoneware and later on porcelain. He later took full control of the studio and continued production of the glazed stoneware that is still considered revolutionary. [Source: Jason Jacques]