Close in form to the bowl pictured on the previous page, this example split in half in the kiln and was repaired with metal staples by Chaplet, who retained it in his personal collection. He passed it on to his son-in-law, the ceramist Emile Lenoble, from whose estate it was acquired. Clearly valued by Chaplet, this remarkable artifact documents the master’s attachment to his own work and held a special place in his life and the life of his family.
Signature: Marks: painted rosary
About Ernest Chaplet
Ernest Chaplet began his career in 1848 as an apprentice at Sèvres, where he studied decoration, design and ceramics techniques. In 1882, after more than 30 years in the employ of large ceramics firms, he opened an atelier where, assisted by Albert-Louis Dammouse and funded by Haviland & Company, he created simple stoneware forms ornamented with Japanese-inspired designs. Within three years, Chaplet quietly succeeded in producing a true sang de boeuf glaze, first on stoneware and later on porcelain. He later took full control of the studio and continued production of the glazed stoneware that is still considered revolutionary. [Source: Jason Jacques]