According to F. Newlin Price (Ernest Lawson: Canadian/American, 1930), Lawson spent the summer of 1924 in Peggy's Cove, Halifax, his ancestral home. The trip produced a group of paintings of "seagulls over bleak stone harbors."
Related pictures include Rock, Peggy's Harbor (oil on panel, 12 x 16 inches, collection of the Nova Scotia College of Art, Halifax) and Peggy's Cove (oil on canvas, 25 x 30 inches, collection of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia).
Signature: Signed (at lower right): E LAWSON; Signed and inscribed (on the back): E Lawson/ 119 E 19 St/ NY
Exhibited: Museum of Art, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, and Aspen Center for the Visual Arts, Colorado, 1981, no. 12, illus.
Ex coll: Davis Galleries, New York, probably about 1971; to private collection, probably from about 1971 until 2018
About Ernest Lawson
Together with fellow members of the progressive group of artists called “The Eight,” or the Ashcan School, Ernest Lawson opposed the dominance of academic style, working en plein air and painting natural and urban landscapes observed from life. Inspired by Impressionism, Lawson focused on the effects of light, the seasons, and the different times of day upon the vistas before him. He often painted upper Manhattan and the lower Hudson River, rendering bridges, buildings, and pockets of flora in thick impasto, strong outlines, and bold colors.