Francis Bedford, ‘West Front of the Mosque of Omar [Dome of the Rock, Jerusalem]’, 1 Apr 1862, Royal Collection Trust

The Islamic shrine was constructed on a site traditionally identified with Solomon’s Temple, which was later replaced with the Second Temple only to be destroyed by the Romans. The Dome of the Rock was constructed between 688 and 691 AD. The ‘rock’ is believed to be the place from where the prophet Muhammad ascended to Heaven in his Night Journey. Other traditions identify the rock as the place where Abraham was asked to sacrifice Isaac.

Signature: The photograph is signed, captioned and dated in the negative, 'F Bedford Jerusalem'. The number in the Day & Son series is 55.

Acquired by the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII), 1862

About Francis Bedford