Signature: On bottom
Image rights: Copyright Jeff Martin Joinery
Manufacturer: Jeff Martin Joinery
Our team researched historical casting methods in order to develop a process unique to our studio.
We use agglomerated cork as our blanks for our molds because:
- The 6mm-14mm large cork granules are delightful to pick apart.
- The cork is super-heated and compressed to form the slabs without using glue.
- The cork has an ignition point higher than the melting point of our pewter alloy causing no fumes, smoke, or flame in the casting process.
- The pewter sneaks through the rough openings between all of the pieces of cork, causing us to excavate the piece.
- The excavation of each casting destroys the mould making each finished piece an edition of 1.
- The end result is reminiscent of coral and barnacles.