Ralph Bernal (1783 or 1784 - 1854), the first owner of the picture, was a British Whig politician and art collector. He was a Member of Parliament from 1818 until 1852. Bernal was president of the British Archaeological Society in 1853. He built up a substantial collection of glass, ceramics, and other art objects, which were auctioned after his death, with the 4,000 lots selling for £70,000.
The Jacobean (or Jacobean revival) chair and the large vase also appear in Lewis' watercolor "An Interior," of about 1834 (?) in the collection of the Tate Britain, London.
Signature: Inscribed (at lower right, in black pen and ink, in a later hand): Artists studio / Lewis / Bernals Sale
Ex coll: Ralph Bernal, until 1854; sale, Messrs Christrie & Mason commencing March 5, 1855, "celebrated collection of works of art...of the distinguished collector, Ralph Bernal, esq"; Christopher Powney, London, as of about 1968; to Stephen Spector, New York, 1968; to Davis Galleries, New York, 1968; to Robert and Helen Mandelbaum, New York, from 1968 until 1982; to Davis & Langdale Company, New York, December 1982; to private collection from January 1983 until 2016