Josef Hoffmann, ‘Two Seating Machines’, ca. 1905, Galerie Bei Der Albertina Zetter

Signature: Stamp on the bottom side of one chair J. & J. KOHN Teschen-Austria Carved: XIII and XII (?) respectively

Image rights: Galerie bei der Albertina

Manufacturer: Jacob & Josef Kohn, Vienna

This model was exhibited at the Vienna Kunstschau in 1908.

cf Sales catalogue Jacob & Josef Kohn, reprint Munich 1980, ill. p. 68, no 669
cf Giovanni Renzi, Il mobile moderno. Gebrüder Thonet Vienna Jacob & Josef Kohn, Milan 2008,
ill. p. 160ff

About Josef Hoffmann

Josef Hoffman’s oeuvre embodies the seismic aesthetic and philosophical shifts that defined avant-garde art and design at the turn of the 19th century. He was a founding member of the Vienna Secession, an organization of artists and designers who sought to breakaway from rigid historical precedents, and later, the Wiener Werkstätte, a workshop dedicated to the production of craftwork of everyday objects including ceramics, textiles, and furniture. Hoffman was integral to defining Western applied arts during this period. The Stoclet Palace (1905–11), Hoffman’s masterpiece, embodies the artistic tension of this era and reveals the architect’s prescience; the mansion’s decorative details recall the fluid stylization of Art Nouveau, while the stark exterior walls—sheets of white marble edged in gilded metal—anticipate the austere planes and strict geometry of the International Style.

Austrian, 1870-1956, Brtnice, Czech Republic, based in Vienna, Austria