The final version of this chair was a collaboration between Klint and his student Edvard Kindt-Larsen, who had made the working drawing of the chair as part of a school project. Nicknamed the “Mix” chair based on a notation on a sketch by Klint, playing on the names of its creators, the chair was published in Architeckten in 1930 in an article by Klint about the furniture design program. The initial prototypes for the chair were made by N.C. Jensen Kjaer around 1930. Rud. Rasmussens Snedkerier of Copenhagen put them in production in 1931, with the model number 4396. The subtle play of curvature in the piece is remarkable: convex at top, concave in the seat, with a constant rolling line from one front leg to the top and down to the other leg. Depicted at righ is a two-sided sketch by Klint explaining the chair’s curvature.
19 in. (48 cm) seat D x 16 in. (41 cm) seat H
Image rights: Gallery BAC
Gorm Harkaer, Kaare Klint, Copenhagen, Kilintiania, 2010, pg. 32; Arne Karlsen, Danish Furniture Design in the 20th Century, vol. 1, Copenhagen, Dansk Møbel Kunst, 1990, pgs. 62-63
About Kaare Klint