Louise Nevelson, ‘Magic Garden’, 1953-1955, Phillips

Works on Paper from the Schulhof Collection

Image: 5 3/4 x 9 in. (14.6 x 22.9 cm)
Sheet: 8 1/2 x 11 1/2 in. (21.6 x 29.2 cm)
Framed

Printer: the artist and Irwin Hollander, New York

Signature: Signed, titled, dated '1951' in the upper margin, inscribed 'To the Schulhofs with Love Louise June 23-71. E102 D/2' and numbered 1/20

Gene Baro 12

About Louise Nevelson

Louise Nevelson’s room-sized wood sculptures have been hailed as emblematic of many different movements, including Abstract Expressionism, Cubism, and Surrealism. Monochromatic and usually black, with isolated departures into white and gold, Nevelson assembled the sculptures using discarded pieces of wood that she received or found on the street. As part of Nevelson’s massive, commanding works of art, the scrap wood takes on majestic proportions, reflecting the artist’s personal story of dislocation and self-invention. In Mrs. N’s Palace (1964-1977), a 20-foot-wide tomb-like sculpture with a hollow interior, mirrored floor, and artifacts from her life, Nevelson provides a glimpse into her own physical and personal history.

American, 1899-1988, Kiev, Ukraine, based in New York, New York