Gouache and ink on paper
25.4 x 33.6 cm (10 x 13 ¼ inches)
Executed mid 1940s
This work is accompanied by a certificate of authenticity from Maria Teresa Tosi of the Fondazione Marino Marini, dated 24th September 2015.
Signature: Signed lower right, Marini
About Marino Marini
One of Italy’s most celebrated sculptors of the 20th century, Marino Marini primarily produced figurative bronze sculptures, though his practice also included paintings, drawings and etchings. Marini drew on the tradition of Etruscan and northern European sculpture, reinterpreting classical themes such as the female nude, the portrait bust, and the equestrian figure, which he combined with aspects of modernism—in particular exaggerated and elongated forms. Towards the end of his career Marini’s sometimes-monumental sculptures became increasingly abstracted. On trips to Paris and New York, he associated with Giorgio de Chirico, Jean Arp, Max Beckmann, and Alexander Calder, among other major modernist artists.
Italian, 1901-1980, Pistoia, Italy, based in Viareggio, Italy