This stoneware bottle-form vase with a lid was made by Max Laeuger at Tonwerke Kandern, Kandern, Germany. The tapering ovoid body is covered with satiny black and grass green running glazes, a marked departure from the colored slip glaze decoration for which Laeuger is well known. Made by Laeuger at his art pottery division of Tonwerke Kandern (Clay Factory Kandern), which the ceramist founded in 1895, and directed until 1913.
Signature: Marks: MLK, GESETZL.GESCHZT, MUSTER GESETZL.GESCHZT
About Max Laeuger
Max Laeuger, born in Lörrach, Germany in 1864, was a multi-talented artist who created graphics, craft objects, ceramics, interiors, and garden architecture. He was also a professor and writer. From 1881 to 1884 Laeuger studied painting and interior design with Franz Sales Mayer at the Arts and Crafts School in Karlsruhe. He later taught there while working at potteries in Kandern during vacations. Between 1892 and 1893, he studied at the Academie Julian in Paris. In 1893, Laeuger began making lead glazed slipware, which he subsequently produced at the workshop of J. Armbruster in Kandern. His vases were decorated with low-relief designs and painted in bright colors. [Source: Jason Jacques]