Roger Capron, ‘Two bird figures’, ca. 1956, Phillips

Property Subject to the Artist's Resale Right (see Conditions of Sale for further information)

Largest: 17 x 23 x 14.5 cm (6 3/4 x 9 x 5 3/4 in.)
Each underside signed with CAPRON/FRANCE/SFA and CAPRON/VALLAURIS/BL respectively and impressed with artist's seal.

Pierre Staudenmeyer, Roger Capron Céramiste, Paris, 2003, p. 66 for the smaller figure

About Roger Capron

Roger Capron worked in a variety of ceramic styles between the 1960s and 1980s, earning a reputation as one of the leading ceramicists of his era. Capron moved to the storied pottery town of Vallauris, France, in 1946, where he established his studio and interacted with Picasso, who arrived a year later to develop his own ceramics. A pioneer of the “formes libres” movement in the 1940s, Capron created work characterized by undulating forms that evoke a sense of play with their bright colors and lighthearted touches. In later years, he veered closer to mid-century modernism, creating colorful tiled tables in sleek, simple, and functional forms inspired by Scandinavian design of the 1950s and 1960s.

French, 1922-2006, Vincennes, France, based in Vallauris, France