About Romulo Aguerre
Uruguayan, 1919-1992, Montevideo, Uruguay, based in First studied painting and drawing with his uncle, the painter and illustrator Ricardo Aguerre, and was a self-taught photographer. In 1933, at age 14, he started working for the daily newspaper El Pueblo, and three years later for El Plata newspaper as a photographer’s assistant. In 1937 he opened in his first photographic studio in Maldonado. In the 1940s, influenced by photographs of Man Ray’s nudes, Lazlo Moholy-Nagy’s objects and German Otto Steinert’s Photoforms, he began his first formal experiments with an artistic approach. During the 1950s and 60s, Aguerre radicalized his experiments to produce an abstract body of work that was influenced by the local ideologies of the time such as concrete art and Arte Madi. In 1953 he exhibited for the first time at the V Salon de Fotografía de Montevideo and the following year he received first prize for international photography at the Bienal de Sao Paulo. In 1957 he received first prize at the Primer Salón del Rioplatense in Buenos Aires. He continued to exhibit extensively throughout his career, including a retrospective exhibition entitled 50 Años - Retrospectiva in 1994, in Montevideo. In 1970 he was appointed Chief photographer for the Palacio Legislativo, a position he held for over twenty years until his retirement. Aguerre’s work is in the collections of the Museo Nacional de Artes Visuales and the Museo Juan Manuel Blanes in Montevideo, Uruguay; the Museo de Artes Plasticas in Buenos Aires, Argentina; The Daros Collection; The Cisneros Fontanals Art Foundation in Miami, Florida.