Property Subject to VAT Section 4 (20%; see Conditions of Sale for further information)
57.4 cm (22 5/8 in.) drop, 33 cm (12 7/8 in.) diameter
Phillips wishes to thank Mrs Candia Lutyens for her assistance with the cataloguing of the present lot.
From the Catalogue:
Sir Edward Lutyens was known to appreciate the visual pun, on which the present lot obtained its title, the 'Cardinal's Hat', pertaining to the glass halo that represented the wide brim of the Jesuit’s favoured hat. The present lot is a variant of the 'Cardinal's Hat', which was originally designed for Campion Hall, the Jesuit College of Oxford University built in 1935-1942. This is the only known public commission to have the ‘Cardinal's Hat’ installed. Otherwise the design was privately used by Lutyens in the homes of his children. The present lot is unusual when compared to the Campion Hall design as it has a bell-shaped cage rather than a hemisphere. A consistent element retained within the design of the ‘Cardinal's Hat’ is the passementerie which may appear above or below, or often both. The present lot comes from Lutyens’ third daughter, renowned English composer Elisabeth Lutyens and then by descent to her youngest son.
Lutyens, the work of the Englilsh architect Sir Edwin Lutyens, exh. cat., Hayward Gallery, London, 1981, p. 146, fig. 179-5 for a similar example
Elizabeth Wilhide, Sir Edwin Lutyens, Designing in the English Tradition, London, 2000, p. 84 for similar examples
Elisabeth Lutyens, UK
Thence by descent to the present owner