Executed by cabinetmaker A.J. Iversen, Copenhagen, Denmark.
From the Catalogue:
‘…a comfortable and rather old-fashioned piece for the nonchalant dandy who wants to be able to fling his feet over the arm rest.’ Børge Glahn, Arkitekten, 1949
First designed in 1936 for the Ringsted City Hall, the present model armchair was later exhibited during the autumn of 1949 in occasion of the renowned ‘Cabinetmakers’ Guild' exhibition, 30 September-16 October, stand 20. The architect’s intention was to present an armchair that could allow informal sitting: ‘The back is high on one side to provide support for the shoulders and then drops steeply to satisfy the need for a place to rest one’s elbow, an inclination we all have after sitting for a while. For the same reason one armrest is only half the height of the other. A high armrest is uncomfortable if one wishes to sit one’s leg over the side of the chair.’ (Grete Jalk, ed., Dansk Møbelkunst gennem 40 aar, Volume 3: 1947-1956, Copenhagen, 1987, p. 104). The exhibition brought great popularity to the design, which was well received by the public and subsequently praised in several contemporary newspapers. While admired for its novel shape and function, only a small number of chairs were executed. The original two chairs from the Ringsted City Hall can still be found in situ as they have been since 1936, intentionally mirroring each other and providing comfort to newly married couples.
—Courtesy of Phillips
Møbelsnedkerne lægger ny kurs', Politiken, 30 September 1949, p. 10
'Ad en lille Mands Dogbog', Berlingske Tindende, 1 October 1949, for a cartoon
Dansk Kunsthåndværk, no. 11, 1949, p. 181
Svend Erik Møller and Viggo Sten Møller, Dansk Møbelkunst, Københavns snedkerlaugs møbeludstilling 1927-1951, Copenhagen, 1951, p. 99
Grete Jalk, ed., Dansk Møbelkunst gennem 40 aar, Volume 3: 1947-1956, Copenhagen, 1987, p. 105