Tapio Wirkkala, ‘Thirteen-branch candelabrum, model no. TW 412’, designed 1969-produced 1971, Phillips

Base impressed with artist's initials and marked with maker's mark, Finnish assay mark, 925H, Hämeenlinna town mark and S7.

Manufacturer: Kultakeskus Oy, Hämeenlinna, Finland

Marianne Aav, Rosa Barovier Mentasti and Gordon Bowyer, et al., Tapio Wirkkala - eye, hand and thought, exh. cat., Museum of Art and Design, Helsinki, 2000, p. 168, fig. 299, p. 367
Charlotte and Peter Fiell, Scandinavian Design, Cologne, 2002, p. 666

About Tapio Wirkkala

A leading figure of Post-war European design, Finnish designer and sculptor Tapio Wirkkala’s far-reaching career spans multiple fields, from jewelry, product, and furniture design to sculpture and other art objects. A versatile artist and designer, he created products from glass, wood, porcelain, metal, and plastics, made gorgeous abstract sculptures, and worked in exhibition and graphic design. His work with plywood asserted him as one of the pioneers of the Finnish Modernism movement in sculpture, using a traditional Finnish carving knife to begin his design process. Some of his most notable works include Finland’s banknotes that were introduced in 1955 and remained in circulation until 1981. He also famously designed the Finlandia vodka bottle and Iittala’s Ultima Thule set of kitchen glasses.

Finnish, 1915-1985