Full Stack Software Engineer
You're an experienced full stack software engineer with an impressive track record in building complex distributed applications. You have experience with relational databases and document or key-value stores. You can show architect-level understanding of large systems in which you played an integral role. Throughout your career you have committed yourself to products over multiple releases and shipped software as an individual contributor or technical lead in a very strong team. You have participated in several open-source projects and maybe even maintained a few. You're passionate about beautiful code and inspiring products and are looking for an opportunity to build something that users love.
Artsy has 35 services and applications in production. Check out our latest blog post about our tech stack.
What is Artsy?
In a sentence, Artsy is like Pandora for the fine art world. Our goal: using artificial intelligence we want to make the traditionally closed-off and intimidating art world easily accessible to anyone with an Internet connection. We believe that by increasing access, we can expand the market and get more people educated and passionate about fine art.
Why work at Artsy?
- First and foremost, you will get to work with an amazing team. We invest an extraordinary amount of time finding the best possible people. This means we go through many candidates before making an offer, but as you know, five great engineers are better than a hundred good ones.
- High alignment between Artsy's business goals and user experience goals. The larger an audience we reach, the more we educate them, and the more we help them discover art they love, the better our business does, and the more we support our institutional partners and the artists they represent.
- There are no set hours or holidays, no pointless bureaucracy. Work whenever you want, wherever you want. That's the beauty of hiring world-class people, they deliver incredible results and are wonderful to work with — what else matters? The Netflix Culture slides do the best job of describing how we think about culture at Artsy.
- To create an awesome UX we employ cutting-edge technologies such as Node.js, Backbone.js, Coffeescript, Haml, Sass, Ruby on Rails, and MongoDB; but when we can't find a technology that does what we need…
- We write our own open-source projects and contribute them back to the community.
- We are solving very hard problems. To make art historically relevant recommendations, you can't rely on collaborative filtering alone. We do real-time search in 800 dimensional space (one dimension for every art historical category). We are also working on semantic search, fuzzy full-text search, visual similarity search, and high-resolution image tiling and security among others.
- At its core, Artsy is a technology company. In addition to the engineering team, both the CEO and COO have technical backgrounds (Computer Science from Princeton, and Mathematics from Columbia). Our ultimate goal is to create Artificial Intelligence with the qualities of the world's most omniscient art advisor. If Skynet ends up winning, at least it will have good taste :).
- We have partnered with over 250 of the largest galleries in the world and several major art museums. No startup has ever come so close to unlocking this massive data set before.
- Our downtown Manhattan office has stunning 360 degree views of New York. You can see the horizon in all 4 directions, the iconic midtown and downtown skylines, the Hudson and East rivers. This is where we do Stand-up.
- We have super-value-add investors and advisors including: Peter Thiel, Jack Dorsey, Eric Schmidt, Joe Kennedy (CEO of Pandora), Charlie Cheever (Quora founder), Alexis O'Hanian (Reddit founder), Keith Rabois (COO Square), Founder Collective, Dave Morin (Path founder), Wendi Murdoch, Dasha Zhukova, and Thrive Capital.
- At Artsy, we are bringing art, science, design, and engineering together. Forgive the cliche, but there's no better way to say it: we want to change the world.
If you want to change it with us, please drop us a line and include some links to what you've built: email@example.com.