###PART-TIME CONTRIBUTOR, THE ART GENOME PROJECT
We’re looking for someone to take an important role in The Art Genome Project, Artsy’s search technology for discovering art.
The Art Genome Project is an ongoing effort to map the characteristics that connect the world’s artists and artworks. There are currently over 1000 characteristics in The Art Genome Project, ranging from the more art-historical or conceptual (Pop, Minimalism or Nostalgia) to the more concrete (Silkscreen, Landscape or Portrait). Every artist and every artwork on the site is evaluated according to these characteristics in order to make them accessible for education and discovery.
As a contributor, you will be responsible for “genoming”—or evaluating artists and artworks through the genome and creating high quality metadata for them. Our database currently includes 120,000 works by over 18,000 artists—from over 200 museums, private collections, foundations, and estates as well as over 1,500 galleries. We also feature one of the largest collections of contemporary art available online.
To be able to genome, you will undertake research from both primary and secondary sources, as well as collaborate with other Art Genome Project team members.
As a genomer, you will also be asked to:
- Work exclusively remotely for an initial 3-month contract, which has the potential for renewal.
- Be available to dedicate approximately a minimum of 8 hours per week.
- Conduct art-historical research on primarily contemporary art but also art from other periods and subject areas.
- Participate in 1.5 day genoming intensive at Artsy HQ in NYC.
###Ideal candidates have a:
- BA or MA in Art History or 1+ years of relevant experience in art-historical research, controlled vocabularies, cataloguing, or archival work. We also are interested in undergraduates with extensive experience in art-historical research.
- Knowledge of postwar and contemporary art as well as a broad understanding of survey art history
The position starts immediately and is paid on a monthly basis.
How to Apply?